Speed of the Rebelfleet

General discussion about the game.
DjK

Speed of the Rebelfleet

Postby DjK » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 am

Hi everybody,

first:
Great game !
Skipped the tutorial and was flashed how much I could learn and how different each run worked. I also had a little bit the feeling of Darksouls, after the first trial and error runs :D.

My Question:
Is there a calculation behind the Rebelfleet-Circle ?
Maybe it is a coincidence, but it seems that the nearest point is normally at horizontal my position, when the fleet kicks in.
Also it seemed to me, that the circle moves slower when it meets a nebula.

Are there any other interesting facts about the Rebelfleets advancement ?
Maybe they are slower if they are further away from me or something like this ?
TrinityJayOne

Re: Speed of the Rebelfleet

Postby TrinityJayOne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:15 am

They're the same speed regardless of where you are, but you get a few jumps grace period upon first entering a sector.

-Yes, being in a nebula slows them down (it states this ingame).
-Sometimes when you encounter a rebel scout/drone there will be a message about them trying to get away and inform the fleet of your position. If they succeed then the rebel fleet gets a movement boost (not sure for how long, I've never let it happen :twisted: ).
-Sometimes you'll find a merc at the exit beacon who can be paid to fool the rebel fleet. This makes them stop completely for a few jumps.
Leonidas

Postby Leonidas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:38 am

The Wiki needs a section on the speed of the Rebel fleet. I have a lot of unanswered questions about it:

1) Does a longer battle give the Rebels more time to catch up to you?

2) Does cleanup and healing after a battle give the Rebels time to get closer to you?

3) If I just sit unpaused on a planet, will the Rebels eventually catch up to me?

4) Does the Rebel fleet advance faster when I do longer jumps, and slower with shorter jumps?

I think I know the answer to all these. But I'd like confirmation, and they ought to be in the Wiki.
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 am

No only FTLing makes rebels move
HelloLion

Postby HelloLion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 am

As Moosicorn said, only FTL travel makes the rebels move, and the length of your jump is irrelevant (which makes sense since it seems to be wormhole based).

This is another way in which FTL is similar to a traditonal roguelike; even though parts of the game are in semi-realtime, you still have that planning opportunity from being able to sit at a beacon as long as necessary. This gives you the often much needed time to think ahead and make adjustments before the next beacon.