Is continue.sav cross-platform or not?

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
MacGyver

Is continue.sav cross-platform or not?

Postby MacGyver » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I play FTL on two different machines - a Windows 7 64 bit machine on which I use the Steam version, and an (arch) Linux 32 bit machine on which I play the Linux-version. I like to be able to switch between these machines at will, since the Windows-machine is my main machine when at home, but the Linux-machine is a laptop on which I can play on-the-go. I've noticed that copying continue.sav between these machines results in a correct ship, but the sector layouts appear to be totally different. I take it this means that continue.sav, in contrast with prof.sav, is not truly cross-platform?

I should point out that I do not consider this save scumming, since I only use the single continue.sav, never run parallel games, and delete continue.sav on one machine if I die on the other. But you'll just have to take my word on that.

So is this a bug, a feature to prevent save-scumming, or just something that hasn't been considered and is such a borderline-case that it won't be implemented?
Icehawk78

Re: Is continue.sav cross-platform or not?

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:30 pm

MacGyver wrote:I play FTL on two different machines - a Windows 7 64 bit machine on which I use the Steam version, and an (arch) Linux 32 bit machine on which I play the Linux-version. I like to be able to switch between these machines at will, since the Windows-machine is my main machine when at home, but the Linux-machine is a laptop on which I can play on-the-go. I've noticed that copying continue.sav between these machines results in a correct ship, but the sector layouts appear to be totally different. I take it this means that continue.sav, in contrast with prof.sav, is not truly cross-platform?

I should point out that I do not consider this save scumming, since I only use the single continue.sav, never run parallel games, and delete continue.sav on one machine if I die on the other. But you'll just have to take my word on that.

So is this a bug, a feature to prevent save-scumming, or just something that hasn't been considered and is such a borderline-case that it won't be implemented?

I also noticed this, even to the extent of seeing events in the terminal window about invalid event names or somesuch.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:38 pm

The invalid event names are most likely an unrelated issue. I've seen such messages in my Linux terminal window, and I only play on one machine (and have not touched the .sav files at all).

Icehawk78, do you also share the file between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems?
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 pm

boa13 wrote:The invalid event names are most likely an unrelated issue. I've seen such messages in my Linux terminal window, and I only play on one machine (and have not touched the .sav files at all).

Icehawk78, do you also share the file between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems?

I'm not actually certain whether or not the Windows version I was running was 32-bit or 64-bit. I'm running 64 for Linux, and my Windows partition is also 64-bit, but the install I did on there could have been 32 anyways. But my guess would have been that they're both 64.