Why did my Linux save+quit not save?

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
jwatte

Why did my Linux save+quit not save?

Postby jwatte » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:43 pm

I had played through all the sectors, and was in the middle of the last stand sector, ready to jump in to fight the bad dude.
However, it was late, so I hit Save+Quit, turned off the computer, and went to bed.

Today, "continue" is not available. I am sad!

Note that I usually turn off my computer with hard power-off. My theory for how this happened is that perhaps FTL doesn't call fsync() before closing the save file, or doesn't call sync() after closing the save file?
If so, I think it should!
shadowcrust

Re: Why did my Linux save+quit not save?

Postby shadowcrust » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I regularly save and quit in Linux, and so far it worked to resume the game - but I do press the software shutdown button, not the hardware one.
jwatte

Postby jwatte » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 pm

I do press the software shutdown button, not the hardware one.

Yeah, I don't have one of those :-) My machine is jerry-rigged out of spare parts with a battery charger based power supply and picoPSU.

This really is a bug report, I think: Make sure FTL calls sync() after closing a save file!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Forwarded to devs. If you're correct, then hopefully it will be fixed as part of the Advanced Edition update.

Thanks for the report. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.