Microsoft Visual C++ Library Startup Error

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Cdr_Bvarzi

Microsoft Visual C++ Library Startup Error

Postby Cdr_Bvarzi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi
I have a laptop running windows 7 64 bit and i have been playing FTL on steam with no mods.
Basically, the issue is that it starts up and at the end of the loading screen i get an error message saying that it tried to terminate runtime in an unusual way and then it stops responding. I have tried deleting the profiles and reinstalling it without steam cloud to no avail.
Support would be appreciated...
-Bvarzi
chronicdiscord

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Library Startup Error

Postby chronicdiscord » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 am

Same thing with me. I've tried getting the most up to date version of the library and removing my settings to see if that would set things right, but no such luck.

I get the the point where the steam layout has popped up and the music has begun to play, and bam, she's dead. But the music plays on, so it's gotta be something with loading up the visuals.

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FTLGame.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 516fd444
Fault Module Name: FTLGame.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 516fd444
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 001af56a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 0781
Additional Information 2: 0781bba8826139212f11b9c96d1242f3
Additional Information 3: 94b1
Additional Information 4: 94b11fb9b2eb8dccbd54ec7042fd7769"
chronicdiscord

Postby chronicdiscord » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:18 am

Turns out it's this: https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... ror-101jua

I suppose whatever causes it has not been solved in the seven months since then.

At least it's a good clear set of instructions for dealing with it.
chronicdiscord

Postby chronicdiscord » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:12 pm

I cannot reproduce it anymore, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the corrupted data comes from disk space.

Game attempts to write the file, fails because there is nowhere to write to, does not have a check in place to make sure the save completed successfully, bad save gets uploaded to the cloud to cause problems for the user. A similar thing has happened to me before with Crusader Kings 2, largely because the boobs at Paradox don't believe me when I say a quicksave file should be called quicksave and be rewritten every time someone does a Quick Save, their blasted games pile up save files amounting in gigs of wasted space, and they don't handle saving gracefully with a success check, leading their games to create invalid save files.

Yes, I think I am officially on to something there.