Worst Run Ever

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
CaptainKraft

Worst Run Ever

Postby CaptainKraft » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 pm

One of my recent attempts at FTL turned out terribad. The worst part is that it followed my best run ever.

Things started off well enough. The first fight took a little longer than usual, but it wasn't so bad. Admittedly, I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have and took almost the whole first encounter to put my crew in their battle stations. Anyway, one ship down, decent run so far.

My second fight was with an automated ship, which wasn't much of a threat. At this point, I'm telling myself "Yeah! This run is gonna kick ass. I'm not gonna take anyone's crap today." Haha, little did I know...

After a few more easy fights I get a chance to repair to full and move onto the next sector. My luck decides to take a crap on me and I get boarded during a barrage of solar flares. Surprisingly enough I take minimal damage and move along without a hitch.

Now, here we are at the last fight. I'm starting at that obnoxious green Zoltan shield and one bubble of normal shield on this guy. I expected a little frustration, but this guy was a huge pain in the ass. I probably should have went straight for the weapons, but I chose to ion blast their drone system to get their anti ship drone off my back.

Right off the bat I realize that this fight will not be easy, mainly because they are relentlessly teleporting explosives into my ship and wreaking havoc... thanks a lot shields. You are useless for this fight.

Anyway, after a couple minutes, these Zoltan bastards peck away at my ship and take me down from about 80% health to 0%. Goodbye cruel world, it was fun while it lasted... 16 minutes haha.

This was by far my worst run ever but that's FTL for you. I love this game.

If you want to see me flail around like a half-dead fish out of water, head over to the YouTube video.

Later all
spacecadet13

Re: Worst Run Ever

Postby spacecadet13 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Worst run - Basilisk- early in the first sector, Sun + automated scout. Yikes, just wait to jump outta there, right? Except the scout gets a hit on the engine about a second and a half before the first solar flare lights two fires where? In the freaking engine room, thats where! Desperately trying to get that fire out and engine repaired, taking more damage from the scout to the FREAKING DOORS AND PILOT CONTROL, second flare and its over baby, my mantis's just hug each other in the medic bay while that @$$wipe scout gets its "Some folks just like to watch ship's burn" achvievement....

Only thing I could console myself with was that it least the game was over quick, and I could start a new one. Please, let this be the run where I get some Ion weapons and a firebeam...someone HAS to pay!
CaptainKraft

Postby CaptainKraft » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Ouch. Doesn't get much worse than that
Madhax

Postby Madhax » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm

I was having a great run with my new Slug Cruiser A, and had gotten to the seventh sector. High evade, master-level guys on each system, three shields... I thought I was well on my way to winning.

Hit the seventh sector, and it wound up being shaped like an "n". I didn't immediately realize that, having warped in at the bottom left, I wouldn't be able to cut straight across to the exit at the bottom right. The beacons were weirdly placed, so it took me about four-five jumps before I realized that I had hit a dead end and had to turn back.

Why was I going straight and not around? Because the path northwards was blocked by TWO ion storms (I had long-range scanners), so I was hoping to avoid those. No such luck. I had to backtrack through the rebel fleet, while low on fuel. I was able to defeat the first rebel cruiser that came my way, but once inside the ion storm it was all I could do to keep my ship running long enough to flee. I thought I might make it out...

...Until I hit another ion storm. Then another. That's right, three ion storms in a row, all while fighting Rebel cruisers. By the third storm, I was out of fuel, and didn't have sufficient power thanks to the storm to simultaneously run my shields and enough firepower to punch through their defenses. I watched as the ship I had been so proud and optimistic about was slowly cut to pieces, with nothing I could have done to save it.

=(
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Ouch dude! I feel your pain, that's a worse defeat than mine, simply because you were far enough in to be A) reasonably confident of success and B) emotionally invested in your ship and the crew.

But, that's the cool thing about the game, it can bite you in the butt in various ways, both when you expect it and especially when you least expect it...you learn to take nothing for granted, even when you've got 3 Burst Laser MkII's and a bunch of other upgrades on your Kestral and you fail even to make it to the Boss, like, er, some guy, that I sort of know, or heard about, or, ahh, watched on You Tube...I mean, what a doofus, right? How could I, I mean he, mess THAT up?
UglyMug

Postby UglyMug » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:44 am

Madhax wrote:
...Until I hit another ion storm. Then another. That's right, three ion storms in a row, all while fighting Rebel cruisers. By the third storm, I was out of fuel, and didn't have sufficient power thanks to the storm to simultaneously run my shields and enough firepower to punch through their defenses. I watched as the ship I had been so proud and optimistic about was slowly cut to pieces, with nothing I could have done to save it.

=(

I'm pretty sure encounters with the rebel fleet in a nebula have a pretty high chance of being ion storms, even if the beacon wasn't one before the rebels got there.

Also watched the OP's video - ouch, Zoltan with drones and ions! That's a tough matchup that early.
CaptainKraft

Postby CaptainKraft » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 am

Zoltans so far have been a huge issue for me.

My latest run, which was this morning, ended with me allowing Zoltan to board my ship because they were looking for fugitives. Turns out I had one and they promptly tore me apart... one jump from the final stand.
UglyMug

Postby UglyMug » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:52 am

UglyMug wrote:
Madhax wrote:

=(

I'm pretty sure encounters with the rebel fleet in a nebula have a pretty high chance of being ion storms, even if the beacon wasn't one before the rebels got there.

Also watched the OP's video - ouch, Zoltan with drones and ions! That's a tough matchup that early.

Yep. Just confirmed this. Rebels taking over a sector can cause there to be an ion storm where there was none there before.
A_N00B

Postby A_N00B » Sun May 12, 2013 12:35 am

mantis b, first fight, send both mantises over and kill the crew, but they decide to fire one last missile that hits and starts a fire in the lower section of the ship, i try to vent it but guess what? that fire decides to burn out my door control AND life support systems, with no O2 pumping and half the ship pre-vented to stop the fire, my mantises retreat to the airless hell of a med bay after teleporting back, so i decide, there's no hope if i stay here, i need to make a run for it and repair the life support, but this was the first fight, so my only repair crew was two completely untrained mantises, i learned the hard way that two mantises will die before they can repair a vented system.

So to recap, i easily wipe out their crew, and with their last missile they burn out my ship leaving it as a vacum with nothing to breath and no hope of getting out, yes this was my first jump.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun May 12, 2013 1:47 am

A_N00B wrote:So to recap, i easily wipe out their crew, and with their last missile they burn out my ship leaving it as a vacum with nothing to breath and no hope of getting out, yes this was my first jump.

I had a similar bit of terrible luck with the Mantis B. I don't remember if it was the very first jump but it was sector 1 and I still only had the starting 2 mantises. I kill their last crew member and my mantises are pretty hurt (as early-game mantises tend to be). Right before their guy dies, their ship fires a missile.

I bring my guys back, and before the teleport animation is even done the missile hits my teleporter, and KILLS THEM BOTH. Game over.

Since then, I've never pulled my crew back with a missile in the air. Of course, a missile has never since hit my teleporter but I still do it just in case :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."