The Titan Club - An FTL story

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
dyno101

The Titan Club - An FTL story

Postby dyno101 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:28 pm

I got this idea on a whim. Might as well try! Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

It was a quiet night. John had been instructed to meet an old friend of his in a hub in sector A13. While the purpose of the meeting and its location inside the hub was unexplained, he had been informed it was of utmost importance to him that he came.

Before he started looking for the meeting place, he stopped by the social section of the hub, populated by a club of mantis at a grill and a few humans practicing some form of music. Most hubs usually much busier than this, but for whatever reason, it was unusually sparse.

His old friend Alcon had told him to come to that hub. Why wasn't he here yet? It seemed strange that he called it of utmost importance but then left him alone. He began to look for the meeting place, but found no trace of it anywhere.

He suddenly felt his datapad vibrate. He pulled it out and saw it had been taken over by a few cryptic words. None of its functions appeared as they normally would. The words were directions.

"Follow nobody anywhere. Follow nothing to its end. Follow the wisps of wind as they are, for nowhere is your goal."

He knew what this meant. He followed the most unpopulated, barren path he could find. Every store he saw was closed and barren. It led him to an empty closet. The doors closed behind him.

Alcon appeared to his left. The wall was open and led into an unmarked spaceship.

"Welcome to the Titan club, good friend."
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
dyno101

Re: The Titan Club - An FTL story

Postby dyno101 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 pm

The ship was large and sleek. It was clearly built for stealth, and they speny most of the journey in cloak.

Alcon led him into a room with two lounging chairs and a glass of bourbon in a cupholder on each chair.

"Sit down, have a drink. We'll have some food in just a moment, but for now, enjoy the bourbon."

The room was small and filled with different wines, whiskeys, and other luxurious-looking alcoholic drinks. It seemed to be meant for collection, but he had taken one out.

"Do you know why I'm doing this?"

"No, not really," John replied, confused.

"Well, we've known each other for a while. You've helped me get along in a vast world where law is sparse and war is normal. I would have stayed on that first planet if it weren't for you."

"Oh, uhm, alright."

"I'm giving you an opportunity into a market which only the elites of this universe know about. The market of titan-class ships."

"Titan-class?" He responded, in a pondering tone.

"The largest class of space-faring vessel there is. These monstrosities dwarf military cruisers. I'm giving you one which you could profit from to start with. I know you're smart, and if you use that, you might get a titan all to yourself​ one day. I'll be there to help."

"So how does this work?"

"Well, titans are classed based on size and use. Captain's titans are titans built to be used by one person and friends they might invite for a life-changing luxury touring vessel which will take them anywhere they want to go in a huge home filled with entertainment of every type."

"Life-long?"

"Yes! Then your children can inheret it and customize it to their liking. The next classification is the one you'll be receiving. It's called a Resort titan. These are filled with tourist-grabbing attractions and hotel rooms for use as a portable resort. If done right, they're highly profitable."

"Wait, you aren't kidding, are you?"

"I'm not. You don't have to pay me anything for this. Ever. I'll take care of that. Trust me, I can handle the cost."

"And what other classes are there?"

"There's hub titans, which act as commerce hotspots for social activity, and transport hubs, which act as highly-profitable stops for civilian transport. Look, our food's arrived. This will be a long journey there, so I've reserved you some quarters. You can eat in there."
"Blamsauce!"
dyno101

Re: The Titan Club - An FTL story

Postby dyno101 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 pm

His room was outfitted with a stereo playing quiet piano music, a bed which looked overly neat and inviting and a small table with a glass already full of warm tea. Beside the bed was a small desk which had sat upon it a fancy lamp, an unopened bottle of champagne, an empty wine glass, and a small, ornate bell.

Alcon always loved collecting wines. Over the years, he has built up collections of them with ingredients from every corner of the galaxy. He rarely opened any of them for the purpose of drinking, and this bottle looked to be one of his finest. He opened the bottle, but before pouring anything, the bell caught his attention.

Out of instinct, he rung it. An engi opened the door, startling him.

"Might you need anything, sir?" He asked in a pleasantly polite tone.

"Sorry about that. I had no clue what this bell did."

"Not an issue, sir. Have a splendid evening."

The door once again closed.

John spent a few seconds dumbfounded by the current chain of events before realizing that he as well do his best to enjoy it. He poured himself a glass of champagne, enjoying the sound of its quiet fizzing.
"Blamsauce!"