Infiltration, a FTL story

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Therrester

Infiltration, a FTL story

Postby Therrester » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Following a dangerous infiltration among the rebel forces that lasted close a year, Captain Theodore Point had successfully obtain valuable intel that was key to destroying the rebel's mothership. Having acquired the drive, he had attempted an escape from their armada, and now found himself near beacon OFT001, at the far left of sub-section 01.

The cost of his mission? His entire crew.

When he was tasked with his mission, he had chosen a team of six, highly qualified individuals; the best in the Federation. But now, he was the sole survivor. Even his ship, the SST Point V2 had sustained heavy damage during the escape. Shortly before triggering his FTL drive, a lone missile from the rebel's flagship had pierced his shields and struck his sensors array, disabling all the cameras in his ship. Once he arrived at the beacon, he had checked the damage and was forced to take down the system, it being too heavily damaged. He also removed all the cameras, granting him a small amount of scrap.

Such was the situation Captain Point found himself in; alone and isolated at the far ends of space, blind to the happenings within his own ship.

Thankfully, the drones he had purchased during the course of his initial voyaged remained: 1 security drone and 2 repair drones. Using the spare power he had from the discarded sensor system, he powered up one of the repair drones, knowing that if anything disabled his shields and struck his hull, it would be able to attend to the damage despite the sensors being permanently offline.

With a heavy heart, he said a goodbye to his fallen crew mates and activated his drive for the long journey home.

Mission Log Entry #156
Day 35XX-A
Location - Beacon OFT005

It's been almost a week since the costly escape from the rebel armada and my paranoia grows by the day. I scarcely leave the cockpit anymore; the looming unknown robbing me of my courage. I regret the decision of remove the sensors system. I'm also still unsure whether or not the infiltration sensors still work or if those were disabled as well. The thought of having an alien creature or worst, a rebel intruder, stowed on board my ship grows with each passing day.

Thankfully, my battle systems and tactical abilities have yet to fail me. So far, I've defeated three enemy ships; allowing me to obtain enough scrap to upgrade my shields. The drone has proven its worth more than once. I fully trust its capabilities for repairing my craft. If anything good came out from disabling my sensors, it was the activation of the repair drone.

Nevertheless, my top priority is obtaining new crew members. Only then will I feel comfortable leaving the pit.

Captain T. Point

Mission Log Entry #159
Day 35YC-B
Location - Beacon OFT009

I now find myself at beacon OFT009, marking the end of my trip through sub-sector 01. I regret to say that during my travels, I have failed to obtain any new crew members, though that remains my top priority. I was able to upgrade my weapons systems however. I am now armed with a second Ion Cannon. Next to missiles, I couldn't have asked for a better weapon. Within seconds, I am now able to disable enemy shields and weapons with only two blasts. I'm also considering selling my spare repair drone in exchange for a defensive one, should I ever find a merchant offering one.

I am now commencing my jump to sub-section 02. It's going to be a long trip home.

Caption T. Point

Hey guys! This is going to be a short story of my run that I had an hour or so ago of this fantastic game. In case you haven't caught on, I'm using the second layout of the Engi Cruiser (The Torus), in which you start with 1 crew member and 3 drones. I plan on finishing this ASAP, since the major details are still fresh in my mind.

I will like to stress though that the smaller stuff (battles fought, upgrades, etc) will be improvised since while doing the run, I wasn't planing on writing a story off of it, that only happened at its end. So, I hope you enjoy my Infiltration tale!

~Therrester
Mark Sandor

Re: Infiltration, a FTL story

Postby Mark Sandor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 am

Great story, I hope you will finish it regardless of the outcome of the mission. :D