Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
stylesrj

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:12 pm

You do know that enemy shields recharge, right?
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 pm

stylesrj wrote:You do know that enemy shields recharge, right?

Uh, yeah. I was speculating a situation with a nonshielded enemy. If you want, I can work out time listings for every possible setup of ship. :twisted:
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Braxbro wrote:Uh, yeah. I was speculating a situation with a nonshielded enemy. If you want, I can work out time listings for every possible setup of ship. :twisted:

A non-shielded enemy is not a reasonable fight. I wouldn't even say it's target practice (The Beam Master is considered that).

Basically your math while informative doesn't really matter if the enemy ship hasn't got any shields. A Vulcan can deal with 4 layers and possibly solo an enemy ship provided it doesn't dodge everything too quickly. A dual laser cannot.
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:30 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Braxbro wrote:Uh, yeah. I was speculating a situation with a nonshielded enemy. If you want, I can work out time listings for every possible setup of ship. :twisted:

A non-shielded enemy is not a reasonable fight. I wouldn't even say it's target practice (The Beam Master is considered that).

Basically your math while informative doesn't really matter if the enemy ship hasn't got any shields. A Vulcan can deal with 4 layers and possibly solo an enemy ship provided it doesn't dodge everything too quickly. A dual laser cannot.

Want me to do the math for four dual lasers vs a Vulcan? I guarantee you that things will still be more efficient...

And, might I add, they will pierce all shields in a reasonable situation. Now, in some mods where people will give enemies eight shields...

Well, a Vulcan would have issues with that too.

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Braxbro wrote:Want me to do the math for four dual lasers vs a Vulcan? I guarantee you that things will still be more efficient...

And, might I add, they will pierce all shields in a reasonable situation. Now, in some mods where people will give enemies eight shields...

Problem is that you'll not find 4 dual lasers outside of mods.
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:24 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Braxbro wrote:Want me to do the math for four dual lasers vs a Vulcan? I guarantee you that things will still be more efficient...

Problem is that you'll not find 4 dual lasers outside of mods.

True. But the principles are the same with a Heavy Laser :P

Peaoui

Postby Peaoui » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:29 am

If you mind control an enemy you can teleport him to your ship. He'll act like a normal AI tho so just vent the O2 from all rooms your crew aren't in and he'll suffocate. Useful tactic vs a ship with a med bay and strong shields. Not so good against a clone bay though.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:31 am

Peaoui wrote:If you mind control an enemy you can teleport him to your ship. He'll act like a normal AI tho so just vent the O2 from all rooms your crew aren't in and he'll suffocate. Useful tactic vs a ship with a med bay and strong shields. Not so good against a clone bay though.

Yeah, that tip constantly gets brought up. But the AI really does have a fascination with putting excess crew in the O2 room.
So I guess O2 should always ironically lack any air to kill any mind controlled enemy. Just don't move your pilot out or else they'll run right to it and prevent your guy from getting back in.
assistancerobot

Postby assistancerobot » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:02 pm

stylesrj wrote:

is the Beam Master the rigger with a mini beam and beam drone? I didn't know that we were giving enemy layouts names...
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:26 pm

assistancerobot wrote:
stylesrj wrote:

is the Beam Master the rigger with a mini beam and beam drone? I didn't know that we were giving enemy layouts names...

If we are, then the shieldless twin basic laser auto scout is the 'Retard'