Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Linkstore

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby Linkstore » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:02 am

stylesrj wrote:I'm not sure if this works but... let's say you have a missile heading towards your ship, but what's that? Your cloaking isn't fully charged yet? What will you do!?

Projectiles, when fired at your ship become hits or misses just as it impacts with your shield bubble. So what you do is you depower your shields completely before the missile/protectiles hit the bubble. Now you might have that extra second you need to cloak out of the way when normally that missile would have passed the threshold if they had been up.

It could have been a trick of the eyes, but it might just work.

Definitely true. The thing is... When will this ever happen?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:32 am

Linkstore wrote:
Definitely true. The thing is... When will this ever happen?

When the opportunity arises and you realise "Oh wait, if I get rid of my shield bubble, I might be able to get out of this alive when I cloak!"
It's the sort of situation where you'd depower Life Support to power up another bar of evasion.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:13 am

Dropping the shields in general gives you all kinds of power to shunt to other systems. At two bars per barrier even a little bit of weapon damage on an enemy ship can give you quite a bit of latitude with the power distribution.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
vdweller

Postby vdweller » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:49 am

stylesrj wrote:I'm not sure if this works but... let's say you have a missile heading towards your ship, but what's that? Your cloaking isn't fully charged yet? What will you do!?

Projectiles, when fired at your ship become hits or misses just as it impacts with your shield bubble. So what you do is you depower your shields completely before the missile/protectiles hit the bubble. Now you might have that extra second you need to cloak out of the way when normally that missile would have passed the threshold if they had been up.

It could have been a trick of the eyes, but it might just work.

That's Korean-level micromanagement :D
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:29 pm

vdweller wrote:

Next I'll be telling you to use hotkeys instead of dragging the mouse around like an idiot :lol:
But I only know of the important hotkeys like hacking, mind control, doors and firing the guns. Diverting power and crew seems very far out of my reach using only the keyboard.

So I'm dragging the mouse around like an idiot. Oh well.
Linkstore

Postby Linkstore » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:45 am

stylesrj wrote:
vdweller wrote:

Next I'll be telling you to use hotkeys instead of dragging the mouse around like an idiot :lol:
But I only know of the important hotkeys like hacking, mind control, doors and firing the guns. Diverting power and crew seems very far out of my reach using only the keyboard.

So I'm dragging the mouse around like an idiot. Oh well.

The power hotkeys are the ASDFGHKL,U and I keys, with each corresponding to a system in order of where they appear on the screen. Adding Shift is to depower. And If you want to learn? use a laptop without a mouse.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:03 am

Linkstore wrote:The power hotkeys are the ASDFGHKL,U and I keys, with each corresponding to a system in order of where they appear on the screen. Adding Shift is to depower. And If you want to learn? use a laptop without a mouse.

I once went on a 14 day cruise without a mouse for my laptop... somehow I just didn't pack it.
I learned to use the trackpad until I got to Nouméa and quickly bought an overpriced mouse from an electronics store.

But yeah I learned to use WASD from a laptop, so why not FTL hotkeys :D
Kazaaakplethkilik

Postby Kazaaakplethkilik » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:34 pm

You can level up your crew's shield, pilot and engine skills early on If your opponent has a low-level laser or ion weapon.
This game is like climbing a fucking ladder and once you get halfway up some asshole shoots you in the fucking dick and you fall off, then the ladder catches fire.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Kazaaakplethkilik wrote:You can level up your crew's shield, pilot and engine skills early on If your opponent has a low-level laser or ion weapon.

Ion weapons don't raise shield skill if you get hit by them and if your shields are ionised, then you won't gain any shield skill for the duration of the ion (because your crew isn't on the station)
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:16 pm

The Vulcan is worse than a Dual Laser. (for reasonable situations, counting the Flagship out here) So, let's test it out on a theoretical nine-hit point ship.

Vulcan
11+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*1)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*2)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*3)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*4)+4(1.1) = 39.6

Dual Laser
(10/2)(10) = 50

"Now wait, you said the Vulcan was worse! Why? It killed the ship faster..."

While this may be true, let's just look at it this way. 4 power bars to kill it in 39.6 seconds with the Vulcan; 1 to kill it in fifty with the Dual Laser. Granted, it would be more fair to use a 10 hp ship; so let's look at that.

Vulcan
11+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*1)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*2)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*3)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*4)+5(1.1) = 40.7

Dual Laser
(10/2)(10) = 50

"The Vulcan still killed it faster."

True, but let's look at it this way. Let's look at this as time power bars are being occupied.

Vulcan
4 power * (11+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*1)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*2)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*3)+(11-((11-1.1)/5)*4)+5(1.1)) = 4(40.7) = 162.8

So the Vulcan locks four power bars for 40.7 seconds. Collectively, the bars are locked for 162.8 seconds.

"No they aren't, they are locked for 40.7 seconds!"

Valid point, but look.

4 power bars * 40.7 seconds of charging = 162.8 p*sc

See what I mean?

Now then, look at the dual laser.
1 power * ((10/2)(10)) = 1(50) = 50

Using the logic explained above, the Dual Laser locks power for 50 seconds.

Okay; so here, we have a 3.254:1 ratio (Vulcan on the left)

Notice that the Vulcan is more than 3 times less efficient than the Dual Laser?

Sorry for the wall of text; my point is, that Dual Laser of yours is better than a Vulcan in any reasonable situation.

Go ahead, prove me wrong with your own math. All I ask is that you do the last step of multiplying the Vulcan's score by 4 due to it requiring 4 bars.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"