Good Ships for "Going the distance" achievements

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
UltraMantis

Re: Good Ships for "Going the distance" achievements

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:58 am

Svankensen wrote:Coming in for my Pacifism run!

How could you fail mentioning the Stealth A? You get Long Range Scanners and a cloak so it's fairly easy to navigate your way to sector 5. All you need is enough scrap for fuel and cloak upgrades. And some luck too.
Svankensen wrote:Ballistophobia and Technophobia

I got Ballistophobia by accident when i sold the launcher early in my run with The Kestrel. Technophobia is also easy to achieve if you pump scrap into Teleporter, Cloak or anything else.
Svankensen wrote:Living off the Land

To me the obvious choice is the Mantis B or A. They both rely on piracy. Not clear from the explanation is that you are allowed to sell loot, which makes the achievement easier. Federation is a good choice though.
Svankensen wrote:No Redshirts Here

This one was harder to unlock. Losing crew in encounters is what did it for me many times...
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 pm

UltraMantis wrote:

This one was harder to unlock. Losing crew in encounters is what did it for me many times...

Funny thing is that that's one of the easier one for me to unlock on Normal.
Basically I created a boarding heavy ship that got me enough scrap such that I didn't need to risk events that might cost me crew.
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:05 pm

UltraMantis wrote:
Svankensen wrote:Coming in for my Pacifism run!

How could you fail mentioning the Stealth A? You get Long Range Scanners and a cloak so it's fairly easy to navigate your way to sector 5. All you need is enough scrap for fuel and cloak upgrades. And some luck too.

The second comment said the same. And without the "im better than you" tone!
Svankensen wrote:Living off the Land

To me the obvious choice is the Mantis B or A. They both rely on piracy. Not clear from the explanation is that you are allowed to sell loot, which makes the achievement easier. Federation is a good choice though.

The mantis A could be a nice choice, the B doesnt come with any weapons so you are screwed if you dont run into a decent one early on, as boarding isnt an all around strategy (as weapons are). Also, getting more crewmembers for a good boarding party is too luck dependant unless you rely in shops. And yeah, selling in stores is pretty important, as you wont get any use for those drones anyway, thats why i mentioned it. It was a pain to sell stuff without being sure if it would affect the outcome of the game.

Yeah, i mention the encounters for that same reason, it isnt rare to loose a crewmember to giant spiders or a misterious sickness, so you should always take the safe (boring) option.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 pm

"i'm better than you" tone is just how the post came out. I'ts open to interpretation. i didnt mean it like that, and enjoy reading other people's opinions and strategies. i even learn.

i just post like a bloody knowitall sometimes.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:46 pm

My bad, then. I apologize for the overreaction.
icepick

Postby icepick » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:43 pm

UltraMantis wrote:i just post like a bloody knowitall sometimes.

We all do. :p
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Cheers for this civilized community!
icepick

Postby icepick » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:40 am

Haha agreed!
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:08 am

I think something must be wrong. I'm 95% certain I didn't lose any crew, but I still didn't get the No Redshirts Here achievement when I reached sector 8 (or when I beat the final boss). I did, however, dismiss several crew members when I found a 9th crew member during an event, and I voluntarily dismissed a crew member at a shop to get a different crew member. Do those count against me??
LazyMonk

Postby LazyMonk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 am

Svankensen wrote:For this one you obviously need a ship that can be improved without actually getting upgrades for it. That's why the Mantis B is great. Its 4 pad teleporter rocks, as you can board very aggresively without upgrading the teleporter, and you get offensive upgrades just by buying crewmembers, wich isnt against the rules. It also starts with shields lvl 4, so there is that.

Just a small correction. The mantis b doesnt start with shields lvl 4 (i wish :D ) but lvl 2.

Overall great tips. Next time i play a Zoltan A i am going to try and sell all my weapons for that pacifism run.