The stealth ship

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Independent George

Re: The stealth ship

Postby Independent George » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 am

My problem with the stealth ship is that, while it can be powerful late, surviving the early game depends entirely on luck. My earliest exit with the stealth ship was my second jump in Sector 1, when I encountered a Rebel Rigger with both a beam weapon and a beam drone. I hit my level-2 stealth field immediately, but I missed my first shot with the dual-laser, and the mini-beam didn't cause enough damage to stop their drone. My weapon room was on fire after that, followed by life support, and I was boned.
SparrowHawk

Postby SparrowHawk » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:03 am

God I love the stealth ship. Problem is, I too suck at it.

Oh well. Practic makes perfect! I wonder how many crew members will die horrible deaths until I get the hang of it...
I think I'll just assuage my guilt now and name every one of my captains "Zapp Brannigan"...
ErinTevra

Postby ErinTevra » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm fine with type A on easy but normal is just excruciating...the no-shields start is a huge setback...advice-wise, whats been said has been said, but to me, its just more difficult a ship to master on normal than the rest
Cocapelli

Postby Cocapelli » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 am

i have to agree with the engines over shields early. you can increase your dodge to 40% long before you have enuf for the shields.

while the dodge is nice, you are really getting it to be able to run away. if you run away you can survive 3 or 4 of the aforementioned "death ships"..... especially with the StealthB. sometimes i run away if my BeamOfDooom gets hit.

*edit... sorry... thinking slowly.
Long Range Scanners. jump to places with no ! if you can. one luck based observation.

and....
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2571

got me to be able to use it
human_dictionary

Postby human_dictionary » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:03 pm

the long range scanners are given to you at the beginning of the game for a reason, heck, even one of the achievements is to avoid environmental hazards!

one occasion (not with the stealth ship) i arrived in a sector, and the only option was 1 beacon, which happened to have a stupid great sun right next to it. FTL is so cruel sometimes.

the only time i played with the stealth ship, i was skinned, minced and stuffed in my own intestines by a rebel rigger pirate with an anti-ship I drone. i want to unlock stealth B because although i have got the glaive beam once before, it was waaay too power hungry to use, like the burst laser III. you can have a hull laser I and a burst laser II which take the same power, fire the same shots, but are separable and do more damage. the only situation where either of those are a good option is ships with 3 weapon slots.
Magnianhk

Postby Magnianhk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:51 pm

I have yet to beat the game using Stealth A, and I haven't unlocked B yet. I've made it to the boss twice with A but have lost during the battle...

My best runs are those that I get lucky on. I.E., finding weapons, getting lucky with distress signals (the kind that offer to install a weapon, etc), and receiving augments for free.

In this game you need scrap, scrap, scrap, and if you miss out on exploring even 1 sector because you were too busy trying to locate a store in order to repair, it can cost you the game. I have this happen to me a lot with the Stealth ship, usually because I take too much damage in a certain fight. Running away from too many fights means that you took damage for nothing because you won't get anything out of the battle...

So again I feel like I need to be lucky in order to even survive with the Stealth ship. Finding weapons, free scrap, and such is the only time I've done well enough to make it to the boss.
FDru

Postby FDru » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Stealth ships require luck in the first sector, but if you can make it to the second you should have enough for your shield then you're good to go.

I just got around to beating the game on normal with both stealth ships today. The stealth A just needs a better weapon (than the mini-beam, which sucks) and the stealth B needs to get level 3 Cloak ASAP (then it can 1-shot almost anything in the first 2 sectors and a lot of the stuff in the 3rd without taking damage).

The main problem with the stealth ships for me has been forgetting to wait around doing nothing after battles while my cloak recharges (please patch, thanks).
Number43

Postby Number43 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:43 am

The mini beam doesn't suck, it's 3-4 damage for 1 power.
FDru

Postby FDru » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 am

It's not necessarily the damage that sucks (though it's extremely rare to get more than 3 damage out of it) but the fact that it's so short you aren't going to be hitting more than 2 systems with it in most cases. The kit the Stealth A comes with isn't good past the first sector either because it can't do anything about ships with 2 shields. If you are consistently using weapons that are just barely enough to take down shields + the Mini Beam you will be hurting in sector 3 and beyond where you are simply doing negligible damage and taking tons in return because you can't disable enough systems.

Stealth A is definitely a ship you want to find replacement weapons for ASAP.
Vexov

Postby Vexov » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:39 pm

I been trying Stealth-B and I must say its TERRIBLE, but I guess some ppl are extremly lucky. Im dead before i can do anything; Yes, i stealth when their weapons fire so My beam weapon has the best chance of knocking them out.
Who wouldn't love that weapon, if you can luck your way through its obvious that this ship goes forward without much trouble.
It's a shame of how things go in the game towards weapons(pure luck if anything good).
It would be nicer, imo, if you just picked a ship and the alternates only changed where rooms are placed, and you could if the ship wasn't already powered up place some points(like 2nd lvl cloak or 2 points into engines) maybe even place rooms where you wish.

Stealth-A isn't a problem to play with.