I need help. This game is kicking my ass.

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
speakerbox

I need help. This game is kicking my ass.

Postby speakerbox » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 am

Just looking for some advice on how to do better at this game. I've played 25 hours and have only made it past stage 5 maybe 3 or 4 times. I like playing the Engi cruiser, I feel like its strong and I think i know how to play it. But maybe im just trash.

I go layout A and focus on getting 2 layers of shields, and another combat/beam drone as soon as possible. I man shields, helm and weapons. I focus their shields with my ion blast (i think its called).

Still getting my ass whooped over and over.. really not sure what im doing wrong.

I play medium difficulty btw, have never played easy, dont plan to. I have only unlocked the Engi cruiser with layouts A and B.

Thanks, dont feel bad for me i frickin love this game
zeGman

Re: I need help. This game is kicking my ass.

Postby zeGman » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:15 pm

This game is REALLY FREAKING HARD. You should not be constantly playing on medium difficulty if you can't get past sector 5 consistently. Play on easy for some runs just so you can learn how the game works. There are many advanced tactics that you can only learn if you don't have your entire ship somehow on fire and having breaches everywhere at the same time.
lauryfriese

Re: I need help. This game is kicking my ass.

Postby lauryfriese » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:45 am

While having two layers of shields is a good goal, don't neglect other important upgrades. Consider upgrading your engines to improve evasion, as well as your weapons and drone control to enhance your offensive capabilities. Additionally, having a level 2 or 3 piloting system can help mitigate the effects of pilot damage during battles. Prioritize targeting enemy systems that pose the most immediate threat or weaken their offensive capabilities. Taking down the enemy shields with your ion blast is a good start, but also consider targeting weapons systems, drones, or piloting to disrupt their attacks and increase your survivability. Drift Boss