Final Boss (normal) Fool proof strat

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
tn5421

Re: Final Boss (normal) Fool proof strat

Postby tn5421 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 am

Agent_L wrote:
Danielstark wrote:Yes, i should be banned for making a guide .... yes ... hmm ... yes.

How does focusing on shields helps boarding-oriented builds?
How does focusing on shields helps missile-oriented builds?
When all my energy weapons are ion, how does focusing on shields is of any importance?

1) Boarding-oriented builds should teleport to the shield room
2) Missile-oriented builds should focus on shields & weapons because its the smart thing to do
3) Neutralize shields so your #1 or #2 strat can get through without the possibility of being stopped, barring defensive drones.

Danielstark wrote:
Vaxter wrote:
Danielstark wrote:Focusing shields will give you victory, with any variable here, and with stunning success. Max hull i ever loose on the boss is 4-5 bars, usually no damage.

If their shields are down, the engines are a good second target.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

Danielstark wrote:
Agent_L wrote:How does focusing on shields helps boarding-oriented builds?

To shut down their Med-lab maybe.
Hmm, You've said "focus on shields" - how that's going to disable the medbay?

Danielstark wrote:
Agent_L wrote:How does focusing on shields helps missile-oriented builds?
Drones are there for a reason. If you are relying "Purely" on a missile build, you will run out without the use of Ion or Drones.
Oh really? Then how come several ppl posting in this thread have great success with missile builds? Btw, the boss doesn't use nearly enough def drones to reliably counter missiles.

Danielstark wrote:Tip - Shields counter drones, Ion and Laser.
Exactly. So how does "foolproof focus on shields" work for anyone not using drones, ion and laser?

Danielstark wrote:
Agent_L wrote:When all my energy weapons are ion, how does focusing on shields is of any importance?
You must not understand how Ion weapons work if you think focusing shields doesn't help.
It is you who does not understand how ion works if you assume that by targeting shields you can do anything useful, eg disable weapons. (let me remind you that ion DOES work exactly opposite way: by targeting weapons they disable shields)

Danielstark wrote:
Agent_L wrote:If you're assuming your reader is playing with laser-heavy build, at least state who you're talking to.
This applies to almost every conceivable build.
Then your conception is severely limited.

Danielstark wrote:I'm entertained and somewhat disappointed how everyone treats this game like it revolves around in-depth strategy, trying to make things more complicated than they actually are.

The simple truth is, the AI sucks beyond all known bounds, the game is too exploitable, and takes little to no skill.
Yes. That's true. The AI is very simple. Yet still it takes some thinking to take down an enemy considerably better armed than your ship.
What's disappointing is your lack of will to try different ways, once you've found one that works.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
kiowa

Postby kiowa » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Danielstark wrote:
Kenshkrix wrote:All of those things that go without saying are learned by experience, by not saying any of them you've missed the entire point of a guide, which is to help people that don't already know how to beat the game with their eyes closed.

Exactly this. I was attempting to give new and struggling people a shove in the right direction without spoiling one of the more interesting aspects of the game (learning).

Is that so freaking hard to understand ?

There is not, and should not be any strict formula for a guide. This one is directed at people that don't want to be treated like a baby and/or have their intelligence insulted. Well i'm sorry to let all you babies down in that regard.

I would sincerely like to reply to everyone, but time is precious and since i'm not playing FTL anymore, i don't really see the point.

Good day, and apologies that my Boss guide was too straight forward.

You could have made a much bigger contribution to the community and saved much time defending your guide and talking about human intelligence if you used more energy elaborating your topic post.

This game is pretty much about knowing your odds and becoming able to piecing together a setup to defeat the boss with whatever crap the random number god throws at you, which surely includes getting a free pass to weapon bay aka crew teleporter and switching to missile heavy builds if the random number god gives you nice bombs and missile launchers. Sure you found a tactic that works pretty often, and if you think that's enough for you, feel free to move on to other games.
UglyMug

Postby UglyMug » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Helm first, then shields.

In any situation where you're targeting defenses it generally means you can only slip a few points of damage through. Disabling the helm does a lot more for you then a level off shields. Particularly if you're using anti-ship drones, ions, or any missiles/bombs. That's a long as they don't have the ability to repair a point of damage before your next volley. The flagship uses humans, so they generally don't.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:41 am

I find the replies much more offensive than the first post. You guys must have lotsa times on your hands to get worked up on stuff like that. Gonna throw a tantrum at me too, when I saw boarding with 2 parties is everything to do in all phases? Please.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:49 pm

xdiesp wrote:I find the replies much more offensive than the first post. You guys must have lotsa times on your hands to get worked up on stuff like that. Gonna throw a tantrum at me too, when I saw boarding with 2 parties is everything to do in all phases? Please.

Well, boarding the boss IS a foolproof tactic. And the requirement of boarding-oriented build is implied and unquestionable.

What was so offensive in the first post ? The attitude "I did it once, so I know it all" and "do the laser tactic (even if you don't have any lasers)".
The fierce defense of falsehood in following posts added more fuel to the fire.

The rule of the internet:
There is nothing more offensive than ppl being wrong on the internet.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!