Help with final boss please!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
fdsdfg

Help with final boss please!

Postby fdsdfg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Okay, this is the second time I've gotten to the last stage. The first time I had a fine ship. I defeated the mothership handily, but then it jumped away. I tried to engage it, and I lost because it got too close to the rebel base.

Now I'm on the path to that same thing happening again. Here is the current situation:

I jumped to this spot. The mothership arrived here as well, and we fought. I won the fight, and then I'm met with this screen.

Basically, I can't tell if he's on my spot heading away, or he is away from me heading towards me.

If I guess wrong, I lose the game right here and now. If I guess right, I get to actually fight the boss.

This is extremely frustrating. What is going on?
hborrgg

Re: Help with final boss please!

Postby hborrgg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

He is heading away, jump to where the red line is pointing.
fdsdfg

Postby fdsdfg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks. I caught up to it and it killed me xD

I think the 'searching' part of this stage should be a lot more forgiving. Instantly losing on the last section due to unclear instructions is just... bleh
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:10 pm

If you land on a point he is heading towards you will get into battle automatically. Unless I'm mistaking you would have been in combat if had been at the other end of that red line in that turn. This would mean that if you are ever at the end of a red line the mothership is on it's way to the other end.

Plus the mothership is trying to gt to the base so it's unlikely that it is jumping away from the base towards the beacon you are on.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm

fdsdfg wrote:Thanks. I caught up to it and it killed me xD

I think the 'searching' part of this stage should be a lot more forgiving. Instantly losing on the last section due to unclear instructions is just... bleh

how is the instructions insufficient? It tells you in that screenshot that you need to engage it asap, and that if it gets too close it becomes untoppable?
fdsdfg

Postby fdsdfg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Gorlom wrote:
fdsdfg wrote:Thanks. I caught up to it and it killed me xD

how is the instructions insufficient? It tells you in that screenshot that you need to engage it asap, and that if it gets too close it becomes untoppable?

Because in that screenshot, it really looks like he's heading toward me and that I should wait if I want to engage him.

It also says "1 jump until flagship is in range". It's not clear that translates into "Fight the flagship THIS TURN or you lose the game".

Gorlom wrote:If you land on a point he is heading towards you will get into battle automatically. Unless I'm mistaking you would have been in combat if had been at the other end of that red line in that turn. This would mean that if you are ever at the end of a red line the mothership is on it's way to the other end.

Plus the mothership is trying to gt to the base so it's unlikely that it is jumping away from the base towards the beacon you are on.

It's also reasonable to assume that it might be trying to 'hunt me down', given that's what all the rebels have been trying to do this entire game. That with the fact that the picture does look like the ship is facing me and the red trail is coming from its back makes it very unclear.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Ok, the reason to hunt you down is gone. you already reached your home base with the info you were carrying. Now you are just an obstacle. ;)

1: You fought the boss on that node and he jumped away. He hasn't had time to get to another node. He won't be returning to you in the next turn. He is going away. I think it would help if you look at how it looks the turn after the boss circles a node. :oops:
2: The shape in that screenshot is facing away from the node. Bah, that sounds so condescending and snotty. I don't really mean it that way, but if you could look closer on that shape it would help you determining direction. :shock:
3: You probably had lost that already anyway. You only fought him once right? even if you had jumped to that next node and fought it you would have lost. :cry:
4: don't explore sector 8. Go straight for the boss. You really don't have time for much else. :?

(The smilies are there to give my post a nicer tone. I often get complaints about coming off as angry or rude even when I don't mean it that way and are just trying to be helpful)
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 am

fdsdfg wrote:It also says "1 jump until flagship is in range". It's not clear that translates into "Fight the flagship THIS TURN or you lose the game".
Well, that was perfectly clear to me and looks like to everybody else, too.
I think you've made one wrong assumption at the beginning. You have to blame how human mind works: once you make a wrong assumption it's nearly impossible to get out of it on your own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236
Transatlantic jetliner with 300 passengers mysteriously lost all fuel from the right tank. What pilots did? They pumped fuel from the good tank to the leaking one, resulting in complete fuel loss in the middle of Atlantic Ocean.
Very clever of them, huh? Because once they've assumed previous warnings were "computer errors", they've set their minds into dismissing everything as "computer error". They simply could not get out of their own wrong assumption.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!