Help with Zoltan ship

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Scarrrrr

Help with Zoltan ship

Postby Scarrrrr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:42 pm

I got this game two weeks ago after my friend told me about it. I fell in love with it and have been playing it non-stop! But I am having EXTREME difficulty with beating the flagship the zoltan ship (variant A). I can get as far as the third stage of the flagship (so close!) but then I die. I would appreciate some pointers or advice on playthrough, ship build, and weapon combos. Thanks in advance!
stylesrj

Re: Help with Zoltan ship

Postby stylesrj » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Definitely keep the Halberd Beam, and see if you can acquire weapons that can remove shields quickly. Ion weapons work well against supershields.
That and perhaps look into both Cloaking and Hacking.
Do not sell your Zoltan supershield although that should be obvious.

If you can board the Flagship in Phase 1 and remove all the crew except for the guy in the laser room, that would help you survive later phases as the enemy can't fix the systems once damaged and/or on fire
Scarrrrr

Postby Scarrrrr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks! Just wondering though which ion weapons should I look out for? Ion drone, ion bomb, etc.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Depends on what sort of ion weapon you think will work well. The basic ion is decent enough but of course it can miss a lot... the Heavy Ion just isn't worth it really as it takes up two power, fires a more powerful shot but takes longer to charge up and of course can still miss when you need it most, the Ion Bomb could destroy the Flagship's shields in two hits but it does use missiles and has a long cooldown timer (and can miss when you need it most) and the Ion Drone is only found in modded games.

However, all bets are off if you find a Burst Laser II or two. Get a few of those together and you've got a good run on your hands. Or a Flak I. 3 shots for two power is hard to pass up.
Scarrrrr

Postby Scarrrrr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:23 pm

You are incredibly helpful thanks! By ion drone I meant the Ion boarding drone sry i didn't make that clear
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:50 pm

The Ion Boarding Drone is terrible. It can't go through supershields and it can be shot down by drones. It is more effective when used by the enemy against you.
Others might argue it has some uses or it can be used for a great boarding strategy, etc. but honestly, it's like choosing a Penny Farthing over a regular bike. You're only doing it to say "I can do it!" and you should look into something more reliable and less tacky :lol:

Another way to win: Keep trying until you get lucky and victory comes to you. There will be a lot of failures on the road to victory. But if you keep travelling it, eventually you'll reach your destination... then be telling others how to win.
Employee 427

Postby Employee 427 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

I've never heard of anyone having trouble with the Adjudicator, it's by far the best gunship in the game. Adding more beams, more lasers, or more flak- almost anything works and keeps it slamming through ships. Personally I recommend just finding another Halberd beam and hacking shields.