Nebulas - Yay or Nay

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Char;y

Nebulas - Yay or Nay

Postby Char;y » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:10 pm

I tend to avoid nebulas, as I tend to bump into the electric storms early on and get punished.

I know that you get more time to explore.

So the question is this... Are they useful for building up scrap, or more trouble than they are worth?
Hissatsu

Re: Nebulas - Yay or Nay

Postby Hissatsu » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:23 pm

I seem to have a perception that nebulas are less likely to have events/ship in them than non-nebulas. But i might be wrong (humans are very bad at perceiving chances of random events).

Storms are actually very good, if you know two things:
- energy is rounded up
- zoltan are unaffected.
This means that as long as you have an odd amount of energy bars, you will have a kind of "advantage" and if you have zoltan guys, you will have a big advantage. Just make sure that every time you go into a nebula, you look at your ship and see wether you can power all your weapons (all the weapons you need to take down a 1-2 shield enemy) and preferably also power a cloak, 1 layer of shields, or engines (1 or 2 extra bars).

Enemy will be at a big disadvantage, because he will try to power his systems evenly. Thus at first, he will have less shields than he could have, and less weapons (he still powers medbay and o2, and system repair/anti-personell drones, while you can skip powering those). He may raise more shields when you kick out his weapons, but to fire them he will have to lower shields again. Fights in storms are easy wins, really.
FroggyMosh

Postby FroggyMosh » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:57 pm

I always go into nebulae, for a couple of reasons:
- As hissatsu says: "Storms are actually very good". Easy battles.
- The rebels advance only about half as far per turn spent in a nebula. Meaning you get to explore two nebulea for one normal system.
- In my experience there is the same chance to get ships or events.

though looking back, I do tend to get boarding events more often in nebulae. Could be a misconception though.
Sli Fi

Postby Sli Fi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Nebula jumps in regular sectors = Yes.
Nebula sectors = No.
The enemy fleet is slowed significantly in regular sectors, but not in nebula sectors. Also, nebulas seem to have less payout than regular jumps.
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Fleet pursuit is still decreased somewhat in nebula sectors, I think to around 75% or so, it's just not as effective as nebulas in regular sectors.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 pm

At first I always flew into nebulas because of the slower rebel advancement, it seemed like a no brainer. But now with much playing experience it turned into a brainer, because nebulas seem to have a higher amount of non scrap events like "staring into the beautiful nebula" or the boading surprise
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:24 am

The only thing I don't get about nebulas is why they mess up your ship's internal security cameras. Did somebody leave a window open or something?
ID01

Postby ID01 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am

It goes like this:

In regular sector: Definitely go into those nebulas area because fleet speed are reduced a lot. Like at least 60%

Jumping to another sector: depends on the whole sector list. If you are early in and you get a chance to have a long range scanner so you can try jumping into ship signatures, and you have extra fuel (like 20~) then go for it. If you have very few crews, like 1 - 2. Then perhaps not. But generally three crews of any kind can defeat unlimited amount of boarding enemies by opening all the dock and stays inside an operating med bay.

Overall, Nebulas does have less ship chance from my "feeling". However, you do get more exploring which means you
can make up for it if you use a good path.

Ion storm are not really a big deal. Because those affect the enemies just as much, and possibly more in later game when you already have tons of power and extra equipments.
deadloser

Postby deadloser » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 am

I think it depends on your ship and team construction. The first thing is energy, If you have got zlotan, Nebulas is good,if you have got weapons which does not consume too much energy, it is good. The second annoy thing is intruders because you cannot see them in your ship, so if you have got upgraded door system to locate/contain the enemies, you have slug to detect their location or if you have mantis of rockman to fight a blind compact, Nebulas is good.

Once my ship has been bordered in nebulas while I have a level one door system and some one engi and two zoltans, err, dead hard
Haspen

Postby Haspen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 am

Well, I believe Nebulas have greater chance for boarders but smaller chance for other-than-empty events altogether...

Plus, if they are in normal sector, they cut rebel pursuit speed to 1/4, so that's a plus.

Plasma storms, however, are the worst things ever. Any battle in plasma storm gets nightmare difficulty rank, imho.
FTL graphics are pixelated/messy?
Find the game's settings.ini file and add 'swapTexture=1' there. Said file should be in [steam directory]/steamapps/common/ftl
Hope that helps! C: