diplomatic immunity/fed cruiser B -- help wanted

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
slugfest

diplomatic immunity/fed cruiser B -- help wanted

Postby slugfest » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:27 pm

I've tried I don't know how many times for the "diplomatic immunity" achievement (4 blue event choices by sector 5) and haven't gotten it yet. What I upgrade, having had it result in blue choices before:

- shields
- engine/piloting
- medbay
- acquire ion weapon
- acquire beam weapon
- get varied crew, esp rock and engi

And then, naturally, I hit every single event I can before sector 5.

What more can I do to improve my odds?
Gorlom

Re: diplomatic immunity/fed cruiser B -- help wanted

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:54 pm

You can choose which sectors you jump to. Justin made a suggestion that some sectors has more events (or higher chance) ofc I completed it by jumping only to the sectors he did not suggest so I dunno about that. :P I went for primarily red sectors and homeworlds, he suggested green sectors I think.

Is it any blue event? I thought it was crew specific events only? I don't really remember as it was some time ago I did that.

Just remember that the last sector (5) counts as well, you don't need to do it before sector 5. You can complete it on the exit node of sector 5. (I think i might even have gotten it in sector 6 because i started the slug cruiser quest chain in sector 5 and it carried over into sector 6)
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Gorlom wrote:Is it any blue event? I thought it was crew specific events only?

From the wording, I would expect this to be the case. But I haven't gotten it yet so I don't know for sure
icepick

Postby icepick » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeah it's crew specific only.
slugfest

Postby slugfest » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm

The word choice isn't the clearest:

"use your crew in 4 special blue event choices by sector 5"

As someone has already noted (and thanks for that!), blue events in sector 5 count as well, so it's not even "by" sector 5. Hmm. Only crew-related choices will make things both tougher and easier, as I can stop rounding out my ship upgrade-wise, but crew-specific options come up even more rarely... I think I might have to give this achievement a pass.
icepick

Postby icepick » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Yeah this is definitely a "oh cool that thing happened" one instead of one you'd really try for, haha.
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:39 pm

I never was able to get this one and wound up going for the "No weapon sys upgrades by sector 5." That one's not too hard as you can still upgrade the arty beam, drones, reactor, everything else to your heart's content.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 pm

hborrgg wrote:I never was able to get this one and wound up going for the "No weapon sys upgrades by sector 5." That one's not too hard as you can still upgrade the arty beam, drones, reactor, everything else to your heart's content.

Do you still fail that one if you find or buy a weapon?
icepick

Postby icepick » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 pm

No, you just can't upgrade the weapon system itself. So you're stuck at 2 bars or whatever it is. It's really not terrible.
Boyos

Postby Boyos » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:58 am

I got this unlock today, with a slug crew member, so its any crew member not just the starting 4, cause if I remember right you start with a zoltan, hummie, rock, and engi.