Hostile or Friendly sectors?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Stike

Hostile or Friendly sectors?

Postby Stike » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:24 pm

When you move from sector to sector, which is the better choice to pick?
Friendly, Hostile or Nebula? Just wondering, because I always pick friendly, but I am wondering if more challenging (hostile) means more loot, and will then in the end make you stronger?
stylesrj

Re: Hostile or Friendly sectors?

Postby stylesrj » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Stike wrote:When you move from sector to sector, which is the better choice to pick?
Friendly, Hostile or Nebula? Just wondering, because I always pick friendly, but I am wondering if more challenging (hostile) means more loot, and will then in the end make you stronger?

Don't go for purple sectors. They're not worth it.

Red is good for combat rewards, but honestly, I prefer green sectors. Unless it's a non-Zoltan Homeworld.
Red might make you stronger but so does a good green run.
onehitparry

Postby onehitparry » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:42 pm

I read a good piece of advice somewhere on these forums. Head for red sectors if you're low on scrap. Head to green sectors if you have enough/too much scrap.

As previously mentioned, red tends to give more combat rewards. Friendly sectors have 3 stores instead of just 2.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:24 pm

If you have a choice between Pirates or Engies though, even if you're low on Scrap, go for the Engies. Chances are they'll be throwing the money at you. Provided you fight the occasional Mantis vessel and when that Engi offers to surrender their cargo without a fight, do not inform them of your friendly intentions. Otherwise chances are they'll be like "Oh cool. You won't kill us? Moving on."
If you accept surrender, free loot and no moral consequences.

But yeah, red sectors are a good source of combat and scrap, but more combat means more missiles being launched at you and more hull repairs are needed, more frustrating system damage and more fires causing serious problems.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:13 am

Take the green sectors until you've unlocked the crystal ship, which in practical terms means always take the green. I swear I have the worst luck.

If you have the crystal pod on your ship the last stage happens in a rock sector which is red, but good luck getting that far.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:34 pm

stylesrj wrote:If you have a choice between Pirates or Engies though, even if you're low on Scrap, go for the Engies. Chances are they'll be throwing the money at you. Provided you fight the occasional Mantis vessel and when that Engi offers to surrender their cargo without a fight, do not inform them of your friendly intentions. Otherwise chances are they'll be like "Oh cool. You won't kill us? Moving on."
If you accept surrender, free loot and no moral consequences.

But yeah, red sectors are a good source of combat and scrap, but more combat means more missiles being launched at you and more hull repairs are needed, more frustrating system damage and more fires causing serious problems.

I told the Engi of my intentions and got 130 scrap AND a freaking Pre Igniter xD

Yeah, I love Sector 6 and 7 Engi Homeworlds. They are glorious... they once gave me 90+ scrap SEVEN JUMPS IN A ROW.

'Course, my previous run, second sector, first jump, it gave me the Flagship Construction to kill...
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"