Whats The Worst Ship in FTL?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
5thHorseman

Re: Whats The Worst Ship in FTL?

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:43 am

athorist wrote:Yeah, but it's really inefficient to only get 4 shots from 4 power bars. I found a hull beam, but because I only had 3 other shots, it's not very reliable against 2 shield layers.

You're thinking about it wrong. You start with 4 shots every 10 seconds for FREE. If you find a BL2, you don't need to upgrade your weapons system and now you have 5 shots every 12 seconds. Or even better, find a Flak 1 and you have 5 shots every 10 seconds without having to upgrade weapons. If you DO upgrade weapons (at your leisure because it's not critical to success) you always have another shot.

When you find a Glaive Beam, it's hard to buy 3 weapon slots and 3 power bars to get it going on most ships. On the Red Tail you can keep upgrading weapons one bar at a time, shuffling your weapon around and using the basic lasers as filler.

Oh, and there's a LOT to be said about fully leveling up your weapons officer in a single sector.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Engi B, Because personally, my experiences with the "un-stealth" C haven't been that horrid.
The engi B cannot take down 2 shield enemies with it's starter layout.
So many other ships can do that it's not even fair to count them out.
It relies on 25-health repair droned, meaning if your drone system is completely knocked out early-game, you're a sitting duck.

The zoltan C is definitely a runner up.
You rely on 30 seconds of extra power early game, and a beam drone & a charge ion isn't a fair trade for that.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
vdweller

Postby vdweller » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:05 pm

For some reason I could never get too far with the engi cruiser. Ion weapons and drones should be a good combo but IDK maybe I'm to attached to "all lasers fire at the same time" approaches.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:29 am

The Engi-B was a close shave all the way through trying to stay one step ahead of enemy shields, but I managed to defeat the mothership. I was so poor I only had 3 shield layers.

The Slug B is a real trial. Ugh.

Edit: Slug B Cruiser victory!

Cloning bay + kept the heal bomb; with 2 carefully microed boarding crews finishing up in the red spend one missile and all 4 get to keep their skills.

Relied on the Artemis and bought a lot of missiles while the fast-repeating ion gun (the 4 second one) sat in cargo forever with no follow-up. Finally got 2 flaks and a basic ion gun (8 sec / 1 power) but system upgrade costs meant I had to skimp on shields with only 3 levels against the mothership, but I learned from my Engi-B game that defense 2 + shield drone would make up for it.

Mind control + teleporter is a wildly flexible combination. The flagship hacked my guns during the first battle, but I didn't need guns to abduct the crew and send in the marines.

Describing the next two battles would bore you; deploy drones, board the missile launcher, guns on autorepeat, retrieve boarders, flagship explodes. During the last fight the drone bay was set on fire right before the flagship exploded, so that was a little bit exciting I guess. The most exciting thing of all is never having to fly this tub again. :P
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
Some_Random_Noob

Postby Some_Random_Noob » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:57 pm

stylesrj wrote:4 shots from 4 power bars? Every 10 seconds that's pretty good. Compared to a Dual Laser and Missile/Bomb Weapon combo of most other ships, that's a lot.

Dual Lasers is the exact same thing except it shoots twice as many lasers.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 am

Some_Random_Noob wrote:Dual Lasers is the exact same thing except it shoots twice as many lasers.

Yes but the Kestrel B doesn't start with those. But it does start with 4 power bars in Weapons.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:26 am

OK, I think I've determined to myself what the worst ship in the game is... ever.

The Kestrel A!

I'll fly any other ship, even the Rock A or the Slug B a few times. But once I've used the Kestrel A to unlock the other ships, I never touch the thing again. Why is that? Do I just want something different other than the starter ship or is there something in my mind telling me that flying the Kestrel A is the worst ship you can fly out of all others?

Or is it just boring, like Humans are and thus I'd rather fly something else rather than the starter? Because I haven't touched the Kestrel A in a long time and I don't think I ever want to.
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:28 pm

stylesrj wrote:OK, I think I've determined to myself what the worst ship in the game is... ever.

The Kestrel A!

I'll fly any other ship, even the Rock A or the Slug B a few times. But once I've used the Kestrel A to unlock the other ships, I never touch the thing again. Why is that? Do I just want something different other than the starter ship or is there something in my mind telling me that flying the Kestrel A is the worst ship you can fly out of all others?

Or is it just boring, like Humans are and thus I'd rather fly something else rather than the starter? Because I haven't touched the Kestrel A in a long time and I don't think I ever want to.

It isn't boring, it isn't bad. It actually starts with 3 power in weapons (enough for a Halberd, almost enough for a Vulcan) AND a BLII. One run with it, I got quad BLII's early (Thanks, generous Engi, Lanius manufacturer, weapon floating in space, and Zoltan research station (Yes, I legit got one from there. It was the one with the imprisoned people where I had to kill a pirate.). The Engi didn't help much, but they gave me the scrap I needed to buy the Lanius's one, and then it also allowed me later to buy a shiny Pre-Igniter)

Yeah, that was a fun run. It is an all-rounder; just about the worst thing it makes is a boarder. But a pew pew ship, hacker ship, drone assisted ship, or mind control ship? Oh yeah, it is perfectly fine.

May I mention, also, that it starts with 2 power in engines (The Zoltan A only has one).
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:17 pm

The worst ships are the ones you don't want to fly. A Mantis or Crystal B can become an unstoppable war machine if you get good luck in early sectors. The Kestrel A can too (Hell I'll even say the Rock A can if you get rid of those damned missiles).
But I haven't touched the Kestrel A in a long time. So therefore it's the worst ship to fly :P
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:51 pm

stylesrj wrote:The worst ships are the ones you don't want to fly. A Mantis or Crystal B can become an unstoppable war machine if you get good luck in early sectors. The Kestrel A can too (Hell I'll even say the Rock A can if you get rid of those damned missiles).
But I haven't touched the Kestrel A in a long time. So therefore it's the worst ship to fly :P

I love it. My least favorite ship is the Red-Tail. Starting with all four weapon slots filled means the game thinks you don't need any more weapons, so you rarely get any weapon drops or shops.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"