Stealth and Federation Cruiser?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
tjarne

Stealth and Federation Cruiser?

Postby tjarne » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 am

Is it possible to get cloak on the Federation Cruiser? After several plays I havent found it a single time.
Antesignanus

Re: Stealth and Federation Cruiser?

Postby Antesignanus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 pm

I don't think so. I've tried many times but I think with the artillery beam you sacrifice the cloak.
VintageCake

Postby VintageCake » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Notice the amount of rooms which has "four spaces" in them. Teleporter takes two, Shields takes four, Cloak takes four, Drones take four. if you run out of rooms with four spaces, you can't have more advanced systems.
Vind

Postby Vind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Systems can be in 2 spaced rooms too. Cloak on adjudicator have 2 spaces.
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:37 am

Problem is that the upgrade screen when you press "Ship" isn't big enough due to the added artillery beam.
Kurt

Postby Kurt » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:34 pm

I have confirmed in the ship's layout definition in data.dat that the Fed cruiser is not capable of cloaking. In fact, from the way it's commented out, it looks like the "feature" of the Fed cruiser used to be that it included cloaking.

I have successfully modded data.dat to re-enable the cloak, but hborrg is right, because the upgrade screen isn't quite wide enough, with both artillery and the cloak, the upgrade items go over the right border a little. But it works just fine.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 pm

The federation cruiser used to be able to use cloak in the beta. (it had the kestrel type Bs weapon loadout then I believe)

At some point the artillery beam got added to the federation cruiser and then the ship lost the cloak system. The artillery beam essentially replaces the cloak.

Vintagecake: what are you on about? That's not right at all. The reason the federation cruiser doesn't have cloak is for balancing issues. Not because of room sizes. thre are examples of both teleport and medbay having both 2 and 4 square rooms.
Reversely any ship that can get cloak can't get the artillery beam (and that is pretty much every other ship)
samjones

Postby samjones » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Aw man! I thought I was just having terrible luck finding it in stores. It makes sense. The cruiser would be insanely powerful with cloak.
anchoritt

Postby anchoritt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:51 pm

You can't get cloak on federation cruiser, because of Treaty of Algeron (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Algeron). That's another reason to believe the game is based on the Star Trek universe and not on some inferior one like Star Wars or BG.