Engi-Ship - Startingtips ?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Char;y

Re: Engi-Ship - Startingtips ?

Postby Char;y » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:08 pm

I may have unfairly dismiised this one. My first play through I jumped into an energy draining dust cloud, and did not have enough energy to activate either weapon or drone, unless I dropped my shield. But then realised my drone could not damage his ship, and the ion cannon could not damage his ship. The available tactics early on are restricted, and if you lose either weapon or drone, you are screwed

I died, and wrote it off. On reflection, this may have happened to any of the ships the same way, apart from the fed cruiser.
jfpOne23

Postby jfpOne23 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 am

CFIT wrote:Here's what I've got:
First, auto-target the weapons with the ion beam. There's not much point in auto-targeting the shields. Why? Because at one point of shields, hitting the shields with an ion beam takes them down and disables them anyway.
Second, yes, set the drone to attack.
But keep your eyes open in the first sector for a weak-gunned enemy: someone with a single laser, for example, who can't penetrate your shields.
When you find one, leave the drone deactivated, and target the ship's O2 with the ion beam. Keep shooting until everyone on board asphyxiates. This will take a long time. In some cases, I've been able to get my crew members ** rating on at least one, and sometimes three systems (Shields, weapons and engines): when they max out at one station, move them to the next.

And yet I still get wiped out by Sector 2 or 3.

This sounds great for a noob like me....can you elaborate? Do you use the drone till the shields are killed then deactivate it (if you're lucky enough to have the drone take out the shields first)?
Matsumae

Postby Matsumae » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:45 am

DarkenDragon wrote:share the power from your defense drone with your engine. if enemy ships have a missile launcher (be able to tell what weapon is what) then take power from your engine and put it into your defense drone, and if they dont, do the vice versa, this way you save your money and your drone parts.

do you mean shields? because missiles don't hit shields, so I usually power them down when I'm against heavy missile ships, and put full power to the engines, to help me dodge. that combined with a defence drone is amazing at preventing missiles.

seems counter-productive to lower the engines just to power a defence drone. lowering your missile defence, in order to increase your missile defence in a different way?

Postby 6677 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:52 pm

With the engi ship you specifically target the weapons system with the ion cannon while launching the drone. If your lucky the drone will have taken the shield down before the ion fires taking out the enemies return fire ability, second shot can then go on the shields.
Eji1700

Postby Eji1700 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Use pause and micro the ion. Set it to autofire, but make sure you handle it right and hit what you want. It can be nice to make it so that it hits after the drone laser in some situations(X weapon NEEDS to go down or just getting a direct hit on the shield system) but don't let it keep looping after you've done your goal. Keep the weapons locked down and the the drone do the work. Luck plays a part(drone pathing annoys me to no end), but just stock it can clear sector one and two with little trouble.
CFIT

Postby CFIT » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:58 pm

DD's pretty much right about the transition.
when dealing with enemies that have 1 bar of shields, targeting their weapons directly works because they generally don't have much in the line of weapons either. So with your third ion shot, you'll probably have shut down their offense. The drone can pick away and damage other systems.
With two bars of shields, you'll have a hard time penetrating, and then the best you can hope for is using the ion beam to hold down the shields while the drone does his thing.

But again, the big bonus of the ion setup are those enemies who are 1-laser-wonders in the first couple sectors. You can just set the ion beam to fire on the O2, and the enemy will eventually asphyxiate. In the meantime, your crew will probably get double-star ratings.

But you will need to get more weapons and drones early on.
I had fun with a breaching missile and fire beam, and a boarding drone. Breach the shields, ion the weapons, start setting stuff on fire, and send in the drone.
galaxy_fighter

Postby galaxy_fighter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Honostly dude you did everything right. The only thing u can do at the start is let the drone do its work. You lost health because of rng. The game is random, so a fight with a hard ahip is just unlucky. Also, you are right about the kestrel. The kestrel A is signifigantly better at the start and is actually one of the best ships in game. So dont feel bad if your run isnt turning out so well, especially at the start. Just restart a few times if u get unluckyand eventually you’ll get a good start. (I reccomend either using all ion weapons or none. The single ion 2 wont be good enough on its own due to missing. So if ur gunna buy other weapons, commit fully to them and sell the ion. But if u find other ion weaponry, use it with the ion 2 and sell normal damage weapons. If u get all ion guns, u can use combat/beam drones and melt any ship you fight)
galaxy_fighter

Postby galaxy_fighter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Matsumae wrote:
DarkenDragon wrote:share the power from your defense drone with your engine. if enemy ships have a missile launcher (be able to tell what weapon is what) then take power from your engine and put it into your defense drone, and if they dont, do the vice versa, this way you save your money and your drone parts.

do you mean shields? because missiles don't hit shields, so I usually power them down when I'm against heavy missile ships, and put full power to the engines, to help me dodge. that combined with a defence drone is amazing at preventing missiles.

seems counter-productive to lower the engines just to power a defence drone. lowering your missile defence, in order to increase your missile defence in a different way?

No, you probably shouldnt depower your shields against any ship. Most ships also have a missil. If u have exses shields depower extras, but usually power for defence drone is worth it if u have at least 1 power in engine
galaxy_fighter

Postby galaxy_fighter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm

jfpOne23 wrote:
CFIT wrote:Here's what I've got:
First, auto-target the weapons with the ion beam. There's not much point in auto-targeting the shields. Why? Because at one point of shields, hitting the shields with an ion beam takes them down and disables them anyway.
Second, yes, set the drone to attack.
But keep your eyes open in the first sector for a weak-gunned enemy: someone with a single laser, for example, who can't penetrate your shields.
When you find one, leave the drone deactivated, and target the ship's O2 with the ion beam. Keep shooting until everyone on board asphyxiates. This will take a long time. In some cases, I've been able to get my crew members ** rating on at least one, and sometimes three systems (Shields, weapons and engines): when they max out at one station, move them to the next.

And yet I still get wiped out by Sector 2 or 3.

This sounds great for a noob like me....can you elaborate? Do you use the drone till the shields are killed then deactivate it (if you're lucky enough to have the drone take out the shields first)?

The drone doesnt take out the shields. The drone can momentarily knock them down and you can time your ion shot to hit something else as their shield recharges. The ion blast 2 fires faster than its ion damage refharges. Basically, you can overpower a shield system if all shots hit. If the enemy has weapons that cant penetrate your shield (one basic laser or 1 beam weapon) then dont power the drone. Instead, set your ion to fire on the oxygen. The ion will hit shields first, and one its powered through the shields it will begin hitting oxygen. The constant ion fire on oxygen will kill the crew without blowing up the ship. Killing crew and not the ship gives a lot more reward than blowing up the ship, and you dont have to use a drone part. But usually u should target shields and let the drone go to work
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:31 pm

Holy necros Batman. Note the advice in this thread from 2012 was from before Advanced Edition, even, so go easy on those guys they didn't have crystal balls.

I am in the midst of a Torus run on YouTube and I talk about strategy and tactics a lot. I won't say I play perfectly, and things assuredly don't go all that well for me, but sometimes you learn more (and are more entertained) from adversity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfTaCTHYpQ0
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."