Interstellar distances

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Zed

Interstellar distances

Postby Zed » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 am

As far as I can tell, there's only one thing that matters when it comes to the distances between stars: can you jump it?

Is there any way to tell whether the distance between two distant stars is too far to jump, other than to potentially end your game by going there and trying it?
nbates66

Re: Interstellar distances

Postby nbates66 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 am

yeah it can be painful sometimes finding out the distance limitations... D:
Imageinterestingly, the distance between the furthermost right beacon and the exit was only just slightly longer than the distance between my last beacon location and my current one (which could be jumped between).
Zed

Postby Zed » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 pm

So there's no way to tell, then.

Y'know... I think I'm done with this game until I find a patch or cheat that lets me see if I can jump the distances between stars. I'm having trouble accepting the idea that my ship's navigation systems can't tell if it's too far or not. A bit weird, considering I'm fine with the idea that the crew can't wear breath masks, but at least that provides interesting gameplay challenges. That situation where you couldn't tell if you could make the jump or not? That's just irritating and obnoxious.
ehque

Postby ehque » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 am

Options -> Show beacon paths on hover

Will allow you to see the beacons you can reach from the one you have moused-over.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Way to resurrect a long dead thread that was posted before that patch existed.