project_mercy wrote:I actually dislike the federation cruiser. The beam is basically a total waste. It consumes a system slot you could do something useful with. The beam itself rarely lines up to hit more than 3-4 rooms, putting it about as effective as a small beam. It rarely provides any damage at a useful point unless you fully upgrade it, at which point you've spent 250 scrap (for weapon and energy) which basically costs like a glaive beam you can't aim, but does the damage of a small beam.
I might not dislike it if it did one of the following:
- Just hit every single room on the other ship, irrespective of position
- Powered up like a normal weapon and let you target it like a beam
- Had a smaller beam but did more damage, like a halberd beam
- Just make it equivalent in damage/size of the beam for that same energy output. so 1 pip is small, 2 pip is pike, 3 pip is halberd, 4 pip is glaive.
That's what I thought before as well. Now with cloak Artillery Beam straight out rocks.
1) It's devastating against the flagship with its insane number of rooms!
3) Shield-piercing in ion storms!
4) Beam, cloak and recharge, beam, repeat!
5) Hit a lot of rooms and destroy crew bonuses as they run to fix stuff.
6) Shield-piercing fires!
7) Sync with other weapons to get 5-weapon ship!
Certainly all of the above is viable at level 4, but still. Seriously, defense-oriented Federation A + maxed Artillery Beam early on = awesome power. Unless your opponent runs away of course