Scrap for Upgrades?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
wraith313

Scrap for Upgrades?

Postby wraith313 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:36 am

Hey guys,

Been playing for a couple of days and ive had a few successful runs, but I have to ask...I see a lot of you guys seem to recommend buying a lot of upgrades...I saw one guy said to upgrade the shields to level 3. My issue is that if I wanted to do that, I would have to spend so much scrap doing it that I wouldn't be able to do anything else for the whole game. It seems kind of random. I know that scrap collection is random, but is there a trick to it I'm not getting?
Saffir

Re: Scrap for Upgrades?

Postby Saffir » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:48 am

Try taking over the ships rather than flat-out destroying them... I notice I get a lot more scrap the more HP the ship has left over.
Maya

Re: Scrap for Upgrades?

Postby Maya » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 am

It's highly recommended to upgrade it to 3 within the first 4-5 Sectors to withstand most of the enemies attacks, especially the boss gets extremly hard if you didn't reach the Third Shieldlevel (and even then the second stage isn't funny at all, especially not without cloak).

To get enough Scrap you shouldn't just rush the exits. Try to stay in one Sector as long as possible without captured by the rebels. If you've done it right, then you should leave the sector within the Warning-Zone to get maximized Scrap-Income without getting potentially high damage from the Rebellfleet. And also take as many Nebula-Routes as possible, cause the fleets speed is halfed if you're in a Nebula-Beacon wich grants you some more time you can Spend on getting even more Scrab (but you need to learn to handle plasma storms and blind sensors^^ Therefore you should learn to check you Hud more often than usual (especially if you fight enemies with Teleporter or Fire-Weapons).

Within a normal run you should be able to get up most of your Systems including Shield to 3 or 4 and Lv3 Cloak and Lv3 teleporter and also a 8 Men Crew and some useful weapons. And if you want to ensure to get enough income, then try to buy an early Teleporter and Lv2 Shield to maximize your Scraprewards from Non-AI-Ships (if you hot lucky, then you should get 1-2 Mantis and the Teleporter within the first sector and a Lv2 Shield at Sector 2, if you didn't take a ships wich already contains them).