Which is your favourite ship?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Trollcake

Which is your favourite ship?

Postby Trollcake » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 pm

There are many different ships and different layouts for the ships, but which if your favourite one? I know the ships are used differently, due to how they are set up, and this makes different people love/hate them due to their playstyle.
Personally , i like the type B stealth cruiser as it starts off with the glaive beam and i love cloaking.
Techercizer

Re: Which is your favourite ship?

Postby Techercizer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Torus, all the way.

Drone control means Defense Drones which means immunity to missiles. Cheap shields mean immunity to lasers. Medbay Augmentation means immunity to boarders. Ion System means immunity to enemy shields. So basically, nothing can hurt you, and there's nothing your enemy can do to stop you from hurting him.

Whereas the stealth cruiser has a brief cloak. Whoooo. *waves arms*.
Trollcake

Postby Trollcake » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Techercizer wrote:Torus, all the way.

Drone control means Defense Drones which means immunity to missiles. Cheap shields mean immunity to lasers. Medbay Augmentation means immunity to boarders. Ion System means immunity to enemy shields. So basically, nothing can hurt you, and there's nothing your enemy can do to stop you from hurting him.

Whereas the stealth cruiser has a brief cloak. Whoooo. *waves arms*.

The stealth cruiser has a glaive beam, which is the best weapon in the game for me, and if you upgrade the cloak, it becomes extremely useful. Also the long range scanners allow you to avoid fights if you want to and find stores. The zoltan allows you to have an extra power on a system. Although i do like the Torus, I prefer the stealth cruiser. Also it looks alot better.
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:02 pm

I like the Red-Tail. The diverse crew and the excellent layout to funnel boarders is awesome. The four basic lasers are excellent to start off with, but can be a pain to get the good upgrades. mind my current play through has got a glaive beam and the Burst Laser III. ;)
Wordsmith

Postby Wordsmith » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Thus far, the Slug Cruiser Type A is my favorite. Not the one that I think is best, but the one that I enjoy the most, for some reason. But I haven't tried them all yet, so we'll see if that changes.
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Maya

Postby Maya » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:42 pm

My favorite is the Noether, especially the Ion Blast-Beam-Combo makes the early game very easy and the shield can save some scrap (wich is needed to pay 100 of them in the first Shield Point^^). But the thing i dont like is, that it doesn't have really much space and its not easy to convice intruders to leave my ship without a fight^^ but then i don't need to buy Blast Doors at least^^
cuthawolf

Postby cuthawolf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 pm

The Engi Layout A for me, the Torus I think. It suits my defensive playstyle very well, and I like starting with Engi crew for faster repair times.

I thought as a defensive player I'd love the Bulwark, but to be honest I was sort of bored of it very quickly. I couldn't find decent weapons to supplement my missiles and that made the end fight a pain. Died on the final phase, which was pretty frustrating.

I got MAULED in the Stealth Cruiser. I want to play it through, but it might be a bit before I try it again.
Wisq

Postby Wisq » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 am

In terms of most effective — the Crystal ship, type B, by far. I would venture to say it's overpowered.

• 4-tile teleporter room, from the start
  • Cloaking device and shields from the start
  • 3x crystal crew — arguably the most effective boarders of all
Sure, it starts with no weapons, but so what? The very first battle, I got the "trustworthy auto-pilot" achievement — cloaked to give my pilot time to reach the teleporter room, then sent my entire team in to their ship. If you want to take out a particular system, teleport in and lock their crew out. If you want to kill their crew, let them in one at a time (or teleport right on top of them) and lock them in (and the rest out).

Waltzed through the final boss using the exact same tactics — plus max shields, max engines, max cloak, max teleporters, max subsystems, max everything except a couple points missing in drones and weapons. 96 jumps, only 6 ships destroyed, the rest captured, for a total of ~2500 scrap. Heck, my weapons officer eventually became a boarder when one of my crystal guys died, because his weapons skill meant pretty much nothing to me.

My first game victory, albeit on easy.

In terms of what ship is the most interesting/fun? The stealth ship, so far. Sensors and cloak are a great starter set.
Otto Weston

Postby Otto Weston » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:59 pm

I like the Osprey B fit, and the Zoltan B fit about equally. What's funny though is that I wouldn't recommend them to other players.

The Zoltan B fit is highly dependent on finding a lot of scrap early, and getting more crew members. Despite the Zoltan shield, they quickly batter down that buffer and with 0 normal shields to start, they can do a lot of damage. The Zoltan B does start with some nice weapons though, so it isn't totally one sided. Try to ensure that none of your crew dies though, the loss of the Zoltan power hits hard early on as you need it to power some systems. Later on though, once you get max shields and more weps, your combination of buffer + damage is quite devastating.

The Osprey B fit is also highly dependent on the first sectors, but only till the point that the artillery beam is fully upgraded. When it is, you can start waltzing through sectors. I don't like the colours though, looks like some puke xD.