Airless ship strategy

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Crusher

Re: Airless ship strategy

Postby Crusher » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 am

I'll throw my mod out there too, The Sarcosuchus. The lack of O2 is meant to be a disadvantage rather than a strategy though.
Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Mod Ships containing:
Mantis Type C: The Sarcosuchus (No O2!)
Engi Type C: The Singularity (Boarding Drones!)
Zoltan Type C: The Annihilator (No Starting Reactor Power!)
Rock Type C: Krakatoa (Fire Boarding!)
Marinealver

Postby Marinealver » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 am

It might work for boarders but you will still have the crewmembers going to the medbay after boarders and weapons. Also the lockdown could trap your crewmembers so they cant reach the medbay. Also if medbay is offline you would defiantly wish you had some spare O2 available.

I tried something similar to this with the Rock B cruised where I kept a fire in the lower right corner of the ship as something to deal with boarders but after all the system damage it was more of a hassle then a benefit as the fire damaged systems when I didn't keep it under control and the borders always go anywhere but where the fire is at.
Warp Drive or Hyperspace?
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Wed May 22, 2013 12:49 am

I've been thinking about doing a "no oxygen" self-imposed challenge for a while now, as I'd never seen anyone else attempt it. I finally got a chance to try it!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15053
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Wed May 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Jerjare wrote:Well, I heard medbots improve with higher level medbay. I'm guessing rank 2+ would do it, combined with reduced asphyxiation damage from crystal men.

One easy way to test it is on Engi A ship, rank 3 medbay turn off O2 and see if their life drains on regular crew. I know there is a modder out there wanting to make a custom crystal ship that uses this concept.

I'll get on it ;)
966socho

Postby 966socho » Wed May 22, 2013 2:22 pm

It doesn't, as proven numerous times.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Wed May 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Yeah, unfortunately. With level 3 medbay and med-bot dispersal the Crystals still take damage. If anyone has a way around this feel free to share.
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Grr, my link above was corrupted. Short version: I've won a game with no oxygen!
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15053