Other games with harsh difficulty

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
UltraMantis

Other games with harsh difficulty

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Know of any game that is very challenging? Frustrating? Soul crushing? But also fun in spite of the harsh difficulty? If you want to suggest games that are similarly challenging (but not necesarily similar to FTL) why not post it here.

Here's a few to try out:

Most of the games by MDickie fall into this category but this one, along with Wrecked and Hard Time, is probably the worst offender.

Wrestling Mpire (CE) The Remix.

Create a pro-wrestler from scratch and guide him week by week through training sessions, backstage confrontations and dealings, and of course the matches. Initially in the wrestling school and facing limited opponents you'll have to increase your reputation and recognition enough to get picked up by one of the major federations. The game will give you hard to reach goals such as improving a skill by a certain amount in a very limited amount of time. You must not fail. Failing gets you fired, and if you're fired from the wrestling school, it's game over.

If you ever do make it to a decent level you may get a break and sign on with a fed and actually survive there. If you become an impressive star you will have relatively little trouble extending your contract or even getting another fed to buy you out. It's good to be a star. Important too, because should your contract expire you'll be dumped back to school. Then the game throws you a real nasty curveball by giving you a time limit to get signed. Or else. After investing a lot of time building your guy (or gal) up, it's so brutal to have them destroyed in such a way. Jeez i once got fired for not having enough money as a big star. OK, superstars are supposed to have big money BUT that same employer asked me to take a pay cut because bussiness was down. A 50% paycut caused me to lose money for a while and then she fires my ass for being poor. By gawd... of course, she hated me because i broke her arm in a match once but that was a just an accident. Anyway the game is evil. No compasion, no care if you're injured or if you got jumped on your way to the ring. It's just ridiculously hard.

Fun though. The wrestling matches are well designed and follow the usuall rules of pro wrestling. There are a lot of moves to use and the controls are simple to learn but hard to master. The entire moveset can be customised to your liking. Meeting other wrestlers in the ring also adds their moves to your list, so the possibilities grow as you progress. The matches are fun and borderline hillarious. Very violent but in a not so serious way. Wrestling moves are carefully and faithfully animated so if you like wrestling, you'll get a big kick out of it. The AI is funny but has no shame and run-ins are common. With even the ref taking shots at you sometimes it's 4 on 1 and you're the 1. Referees will also count veeeeeeery slowly if they hate you.

It's an incredibly fun game, but fair doesn't exist in its universe.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Within a Deep Forest.

Platformer with several kinds of bouncing balls (normal, extra bouncy, iron, glass...) where the goal is to explore a vast world and defeat seveal bosses. Exploration is key to unlocking different abilities which help finish the game. It doesn't sound like much but it's very hard to put down once you try it.

The game is very well designed and very challenging. Even with frequent save spots and unlimited lives. The athmosphere is much better than a game with bouncing balls would suggest, mostly due to a carefully picked soundtrack and superb pixel art.

You'll either love it or hate it, no in between.

ImageImageImageImage

GameBiz 2.

This game isn't hard unless you select the hardest level and enable board metings, then it's super brutal. It's about managing a software development company and surviving in the business from the 80s to the early 00s. Hiring employees, educating them, building up extra offices and other buildings are some of the things you can do, but the main feature is creating game engines for various different platforms and developing games. Investing more time and money will improve your products and improve sales, but the balance is very very tight in the beginning and history may play out very differently in each new game. Platforms fade away and become obsolete and new ones are released. You have to choose carefully when to abandon an old system and switch to a new one.

If you make oodles of cash you can invest it in hardware. Build a factory and warehouse and design you own platform. If you create a good one you will make a fortune as well as create a market for your games, but this requires serious millions.

The game was created solely by one man and his time was limited. You can tell right away that the game isn't pretty to look at and there are strange design choices and typos all over the shop. It's a shame because the game truly shines in the gameplay department and will happily steal many hours from you.

Screenshots from Curly's World of Freeware
Last edited by UltraMantis on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
nfiea2

Re: Other games with harsh difficulty

Postby nfiea2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:35 pm

I would say that superman 64 is about on par with FTL
blaeron

Postby blaeron » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm

nfiea2 wrote:I would say that superman 64 is about on par with FTL

Superman... 64?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Insert something witty and humorous here.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:15 am

Cannon Fodder 2.
Out of This World / Another World.
Haspen

Postby Haspen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm

I would say, Dwarf Fortress have harsh difficulty.

Harshest, actually, because no matter what you do, you will always lose :P
FTL graphics are pixelated/messy?
Find the game's settings.ini file and add 'swapTexture=1' there. Said file should be in [steam directory]/steamapps/common/ftl
Hope that helps! C:
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:34 pm

You want truly harsh though? I wanna be the guy gaiden.

It's not so much a game as self-torture for gamers.

See the WTF is video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY6TrLsN6qM
boa13

Postby boa13 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:12 am

That is rather... spectacular. :shock:
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
wanderthe5th

Postby wanderthe5th » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 am

King of Dragon Pass can also be very cruel. The goal is to lead a clan in a Scandanavian-esque fantasy world to leadership and esteem among other clans. This is accomplished by managing farming, trading, diplomacy, a military, magic and rituals.

Like FTL, it has strategy elements. It has three difficulty levels which determine how much the RNG hates the player; even the easiest setting is quite unforgiving.

It's driven by its random events, much more so than FTL, and there are hundreds of them. Having played KoDP actually leaves me feeling that FTL's random events are very kind to the player.
Ruger10

Postby Ruger10 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Terraria is one good HARD game once you unlock hardcore mode.
You have to beat the wall of flesh before that happens though, but then you'll have deadly unicorns, corruptors, snowmen armies, pixies, and cursed armor to contend with, including new bosses. It really is a challenge, but definitely lots more content to love.

Then, dark/demon's souls.
I shouldn't even have to explain this, but if you don't know, the main mechanics of the game revolve around you dying. Most players will do that a lot. Good times.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 am

King of Dragon Pass <3

High learning curve and 100% guarantee of losing. The game doesnt cheat you or give AI superpowers, it just decides you've played enough and need to lose now. Kinda like FTL sometimes. I gotta find that game again :lol:
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.