Speaking of FTL... Warp Drive may be feasible scientists say

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
DasRav

Re: Speaking of FTL... Warp Drive may be feasible scientists

Postby DasRav » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Read until they mention exotic matter. Exotic matter as in "violates known laws of physics" matter.
Donavan

Postby Donavan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm

So do black holes but there they are.
The best Sci Fi game Youtube Channel

www.youtube.com/user/NerdGuy1988
Shigawire

Postby Shigawire » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:44 pm

I did read "exotic matter" in the particle. What's worse, I even tried to read Harold White's entire "white paper" thesis - not that it helped me understand it much. Mathematics and physics doesn't get any more advanced than this. :shock:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi. ... 016932.pdf

They are going to set up a microscopic lab test using a He-Ni laser, interferometer. It will only be a proof of concept, to see if they can perturb "York Time" in the small.

When he mentions "exotic matter", I have no idea what that means. It doesn't sound like meta-material, but it could be that. I know scientists have created metamaterial lenses that can "cloak" microscopic objects from the visual spectrum, as well as cloak it from the infrared, ultra-violet and x-ray spectrums. If they could make it cloak something from the Gamma spectrum, that would've been something useful when protecting against heavy radiation both in space and on ground. Imagine it would be handy if you were passing a spaceship past a deadly Gamma Ray-Burst.

If he means a new element or something in the quantum world, then I have no idea.
DDSSEE

Postby DDSSEE » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:28 am

From the looks of things, that may not even be fast enough. Unless the effects of microgravity are different while warping space and time, 10 times the speed of light is not nearly fast enough.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Google Alcubierre drive. That's the "plausible warp drive", note that the energy requirements(in exotic matter) are greater than all the mass of the entire known universe. The energy requirement for a bubble large enough to transport a single hydrogen atom is about 3 solar masses of exotic matter. It doesn't violate the laws of physics but 'feasible' is not the word I'd use!

Yeah good luck with that.
Targetstar

Postby Targetstar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:29 pm

"It can't be true cause it violates the laws of physic"
-Me: Umm alot of things violates the laws of physics so it could be possible, lets just hope we live that long ^-^
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 am

Shigawire wrote:When he mentions "exotic matter", I have no idea what that means. It doesn't sound like meta-material, but it could be that. I know scientists have created metamaterial lenses that can "cloak" microscopic objects from the visual spectrum, as well as cloak it from the infrared, ultra-violet and x-ray spectrums. If they could make it cloak something from the Gamma spectrum, that would've been something useful when protecting against heavy radiation both in space and on ground. Imagine it would be handy if you were passing a spaceship past a deadly Gamma Ray-Burst.

If he means a new element or something in the quantum world, then I have no idea.

For the information, 'exotic matter' is a special name given to matter that doesn't necessarily conform to the laws of physics as we know them. For example, something with negative density, negative mass, or capable of creating energy (which, by our current understanding of physics, is entirely impossible) would be considered 'exotic matter'.
So yeah, no FTL travel any time soon. :'(
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah the 'exotic matter' in this case, is matter with negative gravity.
TheKillerNacho

Postby TheKillerNacho » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Warp Drive / FTL travel does not fit into our current physics model, so there is no reason to believe at this time that it is possible. However, physics has evolved enormously since its "creation" of a field by Isaac Newton, and it is incredibly unlikely that our current physics model is flawed and will continue to be improved upon. In that sense, "anything" is possible, including FTL travel. However, this is obviously not a reason to believe it can be done.

Honestly the whole thing feels like science vs God. Science can't and will never be able to disprove God, but the fact that it can't be disproved is not a reason to believe in that thing.

The article did nothing to really change my view of hopeful doubt on the subject of FTL travel.