Whats your opinion about DLC?

General discussion about the game.
omegaai

Whats your opinion about DLC?

Postby omegaai » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:37 am

Would you mind if the developers released new weapons, ships, game features (e.g. endless mode) as part of 2$-4$ DLC's?

It has advantages and disadvantages. Advantage for the developers to have higher profit margin and probably a higher budget for ftl 2. Disadvantage for players who dont like the DLC model for various reasons.

I assume that the devs will not make bad DLC, such as DLC that adds stuff that contradicts the core gameplay of the game like with xcom:EU slingshot.
Kieve

Re: Whats your opinion about DLC?

Postby Kieve » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:32 am

I have two thoughts on the matter.
  • On the one hand, FTL is more or less "complete" as it is now. Matt & Justin are adding fixes, changes, small features (individual autofire in 1.03, showing beacon paths in 1.02), and generally cleaning up what is already a solid self-contained game. DLC by way of expansion content would be nice, but unnecessary - they've built the game they intended to, and it works more or less exactly as it's supposed to work ("Bugs & Tech Support" forum aside).
  • I don't think they anticipated any interest in modding. There's a great deal of stuff that's hardcoded into the game. As such, certain things like new augments, races, or systems/subsystems are in the realm of "Developers Only." As such, any DLC content would almost certainly need to include something that modding alone can't do. Expanded hangar options for new ships? New augments, or a new weapon type? Totally cool, and probably worth the price of an extra dollar or two, particularly for the folks who picked FTL up when it was on sale. However, new ships, weapons, or sectors that don't rely on or include features that "only developers with access to the code" can create? Well... why pay for stuff someone else is willing to make for free?
    -Simple version: "This is why Bethesda has to push the envelope with Skyrim DLC. Damned modders..." :roll:
Hoa_Binh

Postby Hoa_Binh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:29 am

I would buy it for sure which I think says enough.
nikto

Postby nikto » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:07 am

I say yes. But i don't like idea of releasing 150 DLC's for 2-3 guns, 1-2 ships, 10 colors for ships, 12 backgrounds, 10 new quests, etc (you've got the idea). :roll:
TJJ

Postby TJJ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Hate the entire concept of DLC, have never bought any, and will be disappointed to see FTL go in this direction.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

I despise DLC, but I do buy them if they are worth the price tag. For a game that I play on a regular basis I usually buy major campaign DLC but leave out the small aesthetic stuff - there usually are mods that do the same.

One can hope that the trend would die some day, but it's not going to happen and we all know that.
Games are becoming less and less polished when released and developers just milk the customers with "extra" content that sometimes just unlocks stuff that is already in the game.

For a game the size of FTL I don't see a point in DLC. I'd rather have a proper expansion that would add more ships, more races, more events and an extended campaign.
If this game starts getting DLC in the form of like having to pay 2 bucks for one ship, I won't be buying.
Space Roman
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I think it's to early to get overly excited about DLC either way. The focus right now seems to be on continued development of the project (polishing the game, patching bugs, porting to other platforms and completing other kickstarter goals). Not that i have any more knowledge than the rest but judging by the workload and various comments made by the devs, i'd say that DLC is not an immediate plan.

So far Justin and Matthew have shown great care about value for money for their project, so if any DLC were to appear, i'm sure it would be the kind worth buying.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Splattercat

Postby Splattercat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm ok with the idea, so long as it doesn't come in the form of Just Cause 2 DLC. (Here's 2 guns pay us 2 dollars)
Todes_Schnitzel

Postby Todes_Schnitzel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:37 am

DLC are ok ,but not "COD"DLC-style :lol:
MY ENGLISH IS TERRIBLYHELL YEAH!
This text is presented by Google translate , my english skill and german. :D
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:59 am

I heard they're looking into making a IPad version. Id buy that. I'd buy DLC too if it was good and contained a lot of new stuff