Game Suggestions

General discussion about the game.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Game Suggestions

Postby Matthew » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy the game. It does sound like you might be looking for a different experience than the one we were trying to provide when we made it. I just wanted to clear up a few misunderstandings about the mechanics for the OP and anyone else reading this post :)

-Solar Flares effect enemy and player ships alike. There is not only the effect of fire starting, but also damage done to the hull by a solar flare. So even automated ships are effected by that. Keep your shields up, it mitigates the effect.

-Ion Storms effect enemy ship as well. You can't see this because you don't have sensors in a nebula, but it does. You'll notice they aren't powering all of their weapons sometimes.. or if you damage their weapons suddenly they reroute what little power they had to boost their shields.

-Fire will burn itself out if left long enough. With level 1 doors, it will definitely spread long before it has a chance to do that.

-The spiders will not always kill a crew member. I think it's 50/50. Nearly every event has multiple outcomes.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm

FTL is an unforgiving game, but I think it's good because there are very few games like this still around. It's been first time in years when a new game has truly challenged me even when I learn to master its mechanics.
Space Roman
DrunkenRine

Postby DrunkenRine » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 pm

in my opinion the game's randomness is good. like in a huge and unknown galaxy you never know what will be next. for a flighing stronghold of a ship with powerful weapons, shields and many good crewmembers the next jump might result in a desastrous fight agains a ship perfectly set up to counter it. the other way round, if you're completely screwed with hull breaches, damaged systems half of your crew dead and 5 hitpoints remaining, you might still win the game.
i think it is a really skill based game because it is hard and a good player has to take every possibility into consideration and choose his upgrades and store purchases wisely.
LazyMonk

Postby LazyMonk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:41 pm

StupidGame wrote: Please make this game i am bad and that i cant grasp something easy so i can play!

:shock:
Unzen

Postby Unzen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm

I have a suggestion - could you make the Easy setting actually quite easy??! :D

In fairness, I appreciate the challenge in this game. But at times, I wish I could have a game and try out new ideas and combinations of weapons without getting absolutely ruined by midway, Sector 2. You learn from your mistakes and you tend not to repeat them. But at times, I feel like FTL can be too little fun and too much hard learning. Similar to 'playing' with a Cisco training application. :lol: I like a challenge, but FTL can be far too unforgiving at times.

On a more serious note, I'd like to see some random crew abilities at the start of a new game. Maybe even the option to assign a few basic points to a specific crew member and then assign them a suitable role within the crew? I'd actually like the ability to pick a crew at the very start from say 15 or 20 choices?
Starkiller

Postby Starkiller » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am

B) If you get level 2 sensers you can see that fires do actually effect AI's. In fact, you can see them taking hull damage from every flare.

This is very true. my last game I had them & was watching them fight fires and repair systems. very cool & fun.

I haven't won a game yet, I've only made it to Sector 7 so far BUT I'm having a blast so far. It's a hard & some times frustrating game. I'm learning to play the game much better now and getting to see & use some cool stuff now.

Main thing is I'm having fun & enjoying myself. More than worth the $5 I paid for it !!!!
Mr_Crac

Postby Mr_Crac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:33 am

Unzen wrote:I have a suggestion - could you make the Easy setting actually quite easy??! :D

Like I said elsewhere, this game should have more difficulty settings to choose from, so that everyone can enjoy it as they like. Nothing is taken away from anybody if more options exist (that you do not have to choose).

I like a challenge, but FTL can be far too unforgiving at times.

This is true.
montgoss

Postby montgoss » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 am

After playing enough on easy that I could usually win, and then trying normal... Easy is easy by comparison. :twisted:

I will say that it seems like the randomness is out to screw you any chance it gets. Like, I often see the drone recovery arm, but usually don't mess with drones. So, it seems like a waste (where I would love a automated reloader always). But then I'm playing Engi-B, which starts with only one crewmember and drones. A drone recovery arm would be perfect on that ship. Didn't see one the entire playthrough! I truly wondered on that one if they specifically removed that augmentation when playing that ship because it would make it a little OP'ed. But I'm sure it's just bad luck.