My thoughts on improvements or in sequel(prays)

General discussion about the game.
cakebread666

Re: My thoughts on improvements or in sequel(prays)

Postby cakebread666 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:03 am

Please don't take the luck away in a FTL 2. It adds a ton to the experience.
Vexov

Postby Vexov » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 pm

VanguardOfValor wrote:I love the random element in this game, so I have a hard time supporting changes that will make it more consistant. Part of what makes roguelike adventures like this fun is the fact that you will have to improvise every time you play. The run I recorded in the Engi Cruiser Type B was incredibly frustrating during the first few sectors because I was constantly right on the brink of death, but when I finally pulled through it felt amazing.

It's just like if you were playing Binding Of Isaac, and got the Epic Fetus on the fourth floor every game to compensate for the random item distribution. Not every game of Binding Of Isaac will give you the items you would want to succeed, but making do with what you get is part of the challenge.

I do agree it's frustrating to not find weapons and lose for that reason (I'm looking at you, Rock Cruiser Type A) but I feel that guaranteed weapon drops everywhere take a lot of that forced improvisation out of the game. In my Crystal Cruiser A run, I was actually forced to try a bunch of different things to try and compensate for the fact that the dice rolled against me (like accidentally killing my boarding party on their second or third mission...), and that certainly was a lot more interesting to me than just stomping every enemy with four burst laser mk. 2s that I got from every shop I found along the way.

Im not saying to give shops an all weapon selection and 100% drop rate on ships, im saying that all shops could atleast have "1" "ONE" weapon at all times in shop, as for ship drop rates its like going from 5% to 7-10%(depending on any excepted changes).
I get how weapons adds just another way to make you die(that being not cause of poor decisions but simply cause you stood a GUARENTEED chance of failing), I don't see how this is praised, the game should be about decisions not based on some unseen dice roll.(guarenteed, because you didn't roll a 6 this time on this playthrough).
I've died many other ways then being like "OMFG, can I PLEASE get some sort of weapon's I can work with"

But really, I would love it if we got some other game mode, a survival free exploring mode.
SleepyMage

Postby SleepyMage » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 pm

VanguardOfValor wrote:I love the random element in this game, so I have a hard time supporting changes that will make it more consistant. Part of what makes roguelike adventures like this fun is the fact that you will have to improvise every time you play. The run I recorded in the Engi Cruiser Type B was incredibly frustrating during the first few sectors because I was constantly right on the brink of death, but when I finally pulled through it felt amazing.

It's just like if you were playing Binding Of Isaac, and got the Epic Fetus on the fourth floor every game to compensate for the random item distribution. Not every game of Binding Of Isaac will give you the items you would want to succeed, but making do with what you get is part of the challenge.

I do agree it's frustrating to not find weapons and lose for that reason (I'm looking at you, Rock Cruiser Type A) but I feel that guaranteed weapon drops everywhere take a lot of that forced improvisation out of the game. In my Crystal Cruiser A run, I was actually forced to try a bunch of different things to try and compensate for the fact that the dice rolled against me (like accidentally killing my boarding party on their second or third mission...), and that certainly was a lot more interesting to me than just stomping every enemy with four burst laser mk. 2s that I got from every shop I found along the way.

I agree that the game needs randomness that provides an environment for improvisation, but I also agree with Vexov on this. My argument is only targeted toward impossible weapon combinations. Specifically what has happened is being a ship that doesn't start with adequate firepower to take out higher level shields and not finding anything up to the end boss.

My more memorable run was in a stealth ship and finding only a heavy laser MK I. That is strictly not enough firepower to pierce the shields or destroy the medbay to have a shot with boarders.

Having an awkward weapon combination is actually fun. Getting to the boss while desperately searching for a suitable weapon and end up having to quit the game at a stalemate is not.

It's just my opinion, though. So the game may indeed need that kind of luck. I just never can get any fun out of a run where the end result is a 'You Lose' decree regardless of skill after having spent an hour or or more trying to get there. A 1% chance of winning at that point would make me feel better, but not el-zilcho.