When is the beta coming?

General discussion about the game.
Warbird

Re: When is the beta coming?

Postby Warbird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:20 am

Gorlom wrote: -Edited for Space-

Noted. Regardless, I do share the sentiment of the aforementioned post. I'd love to get some progress updates or something out of SSG when they get the chance.
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:12 am

Maybe another video showing off all the wonderful things you have added... yea that would be swell
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:35 am

I wouldn't mind seeing a stream of Justin and company working on the game. I think the Mojang team has done that a couple of times in the recent months.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:54 am

Niknaktom wrote:Maybe another video showing off all the wonderful things you have added... yea that would be swell

There's no way we'll be able to set up some sort of stream but we'll get another video out there at some point. We're in crunch mode getting ready for the beta and you gotta realize, when we want to make a video showing off stuff, that's a good half to full day of potential progress gone towards making that video. Right now we've been prioritizing the development, but I realize you guys are getting antsy.

Just as a boring/no pictures update: We've been making a lot of progress. We're getting closer to feature complete; fleshing out a lot of the alien races; adding tons of events; coming closer to a reasonable final number of alien ship types (we will probably keep adding individual ships, however); we're in the process of figuring out how the endgame state will work; and unfortunately keep coming up with new ideas we want to eventually add, few of which were suggested by you guys (feature creep is a terrifying thing). One big thing we'll need to do before the beta is implement Steamworks into the game, and who knows how long that will take. No promises on when we'll roll out the beta, but it'll hopefully still be in May. (We're doing our best!)
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:06 am

Awesome thanks for the update.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:26 am

Justin wrote:
Niknaktom wrote:Just as a boring/no pictures update: We've been making a lot of progress. We're getting closer to feature complete; fleshing out a lot of the alien races; adding tons of events; coming closer to a reasonable final number of alien ship types (we will probably keep adding individual ships, however); we're in the process of figuring out how the endgame state will work; and unfortunately keep coming up with new ideas we want to eventually add, few of which were suggested by you guys (feature creep is a terrifying thing). One big thing we'll need to do before the beta is implement Steamworks into the game, and who knows how long that will take. No promises on when we'll roll out the beta, but it'll hopefully still be in May. (We're doing our best!)

I'll be transferring this over to Facebook. Thanks for the update! At the risk of exploding egos, what suggested ideas did you take on?
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 am

Warbird wrote: Thanks for the update! At the risk of exploding egos, what suggested ideas did you take on?

Well, they were just added to the very long list of cool stuff that could be in the game. Right now we are just focusing on what HAS to be in the game. We can discuss details on these mini ideas when we have time to implement some (midway through the beta hopefully).
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:44 am

Ok No video updates needed. That paragraph of an update was all I needed to know. I can't imagine what the game will be like when we finally get to play it but I know its gonna be a damn good one.

Keep out the good work guys.
kswill

Postby kswill » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:16 am

Thank you for the update! I think I speak for all of us when I say that we are very excited to see what you guys come up with! While most of us would love to get our hands on the game as soon as possible, reading these updates is the next best thing. Please continue to take a few mins out of your dev time to give us some insight on your development! It makes a huge difference imo
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Sooooo. Its MAY 1st tomorrow they said beta would be coming out in MAY, I can dream cant I?