Why... does repair reset..?

General discussion about the game.
LuniqueKero

Why... does repair reset..?

Postby LuniqueKero » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 am

I have been dying because I couldnt repair something a few times now, and each time I lift my arms in the air and yell bullshit when it happens.

When I fix my car's engine and I get interupted to go grab a tool, my car engine doesn't break back down to the way it was at the beginning of my repair maneuvers. Why is it different in FTL?
Madhax

Re: Why... does repair reset..?

Postby Madhax » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:42 am

Yeah, there's no real logical explanation for it (Unless, say, the repair process required holding something aloft or a similar scenario). At least the game is consistent, in that a boarding party that interrupts their attack on a system can't deal partial damage either.
LuniqueKero

Postby LuniqueKero » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Maybe partial damage would only take effect and remove a power point when the damage is complete, which mean you would need to repair to remove the weakened system.

But yes, I don't see any reason why it should be the way it is right now. I was easily winning a fight against a ship until he lunched first a missile to my O2 and then immediatly to my health center, making holes in both those places and starting fires, everything went downhill from there since my crew was losing hp more quickly than they could repair..
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:47 am

I think it's mainly to make repairs under attack more difficult. The way it is, you think twice before cancelling a repair job or even starting repairs if it looks like they wont be completed in time.

Also, XP is awarded only when the repair is completed iirc. So the person doing all the work gets the XP. You can work around this by having more people repair a system, and sending everyone but the member you want to get XP out of the room.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.