Man the Drone System!

General discussion about the game.
Madhax

Man the Drone System!

Postby Madhax » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:30 am

I'd love to see this be a possibility in a future patch or expansion. With an easily-reached potential of eight crew members and only four interactive systems, most ships wind up having extra crew that just sit around and occasionally put out fires or repair breaches. Allowing a crew member to man the drone station would create more strategical considerations for the micromanagement of the crew:

-With one more crew member permanently busy, finding crew to fix things requires more split-second calculation and less simply selecting everyone who isn't doing something.
-With five systems to be manned, having a four-person teleport pad would actually require a sacrifice and not be an easy decision, as using four boarders would prevent one system from being manned.

Manning the drone system could speed up attack and defense drones, and perhaps allow manual control of boarding, system repair, and personnel drones. Leveling up as a drone-controller could further improve these drones. Perhaps they could be nerfed a bit in their unmanned-state to prevent a massive drone controller from being overpowered.

Obviously it wouldn't be an easy or simple addition to the game, I just think it would enhance the game a bit. Any thoughts?
Sammi79

Re: Man the Drone System!

Postby Sammi79 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 am

I like it.

I would also have sensors to be manned possibly, though that would require a reworking of racial bonuses (slugs) so that their advantages are given to a skilled sensor op. Possible active effects to include in ship auto sentry guns and force fields (for fires & doors) - would make boarding a bit less powerful.

I would also like 4-6 square system rooms with additional consoles for more than one operator, with stackable bonuses.

maybe also one more 3rd rank for individual crew skills. 2 seems a bit too few to me.

So yes please more manable systems giving greater possibilities for crew advancement, and more diversification in strategic approach.

Regards,
Sam.
0evil_overlord0

Postby 0evil_overlord0 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 am

I would love if all systems but the teleporter and the medbay could be manned. While you can't keep someone in the teleporter room constantly and the medbay is better the more free tiles it has, many other systems cold be manned. Manned cloaking could reduce cooldown, manned drones could let you set targets for attack drones and control repair, boarding, and antipersonell drones, manning oxygen wold speed up refilling the ship and slow down loss of oxygen, and manning the artillery beam on the federation cruiser could improve reload time.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:19 am

How about having to man the drone system to be able to launch drones (like piloting-all or nothing)?
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:05 pm

I like the idea.
Manning Drone System can confer the following benefits to the drones:

Attack Drone/Hull Repair Drone: +X% Movement Speed (associated with its RoF).
Defense Drone: +X% Rate of Fire
Boarding Drone/Anti-Personnel Drone: +X% Damage
Repair Drone: +X% Repair rate

What else am I missing?
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:12 pm

https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... l_for_crew

This is marked as 'under consideration'.