How long did it take you to unlock the slug and mantis ships

General discussion about the game.
AzuredreamsXT

How long did it take you to unlock the slug and mantis ships

Postby AzuredreamsXT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51 am

Game won't even let me have a chance at them, I've yet to see the event for either after going on 15 playthroughs

Just wondering if I am getting very unlucky, or if this is par for the course
Zaffre

Re: How long did it take you to unlock the slug and mantis s

Postby Zaffre » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 pm

You just have to get lucky and find the events. The Mantis and Slug cruisers were my early unlocks, actually.
AzuredreamsXT

Postby AzuredreamsXT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:15 pm

What were your late unlocks?
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm still trying to unlock the Mantis ship. Boarding is so fun, but I rarely have the extra scrap to justify getting teleporters early game. Both times I fought the pirate I didn't have a teleporter, let alone a level 2 medbay. (The first time I fought him I didn't even know he was special, so even if I did kill him with boarding I didn't have the medbay upgraded...)

I can't remember if I have the slug ship or not, but really - who cares about slugs?
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:15 pm

AzuredreamsXT wrote:What were your late unlocks?

I got the Rock cruiser recently and the B variants for some of the other ships. Only thing I don't have unlocked is the Crystal cruiser but that's to be expected. You can read more about how to unlock ships at the FTL wiki, as I edited some pages (such as the Gila Monster) specifically detailing how to unlock these ships.
Madhax

Postby Madhax » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm

I unlocked the Mantis cruiser very quickly once I started looking for it. The slug cruiser took a little more time. But in both cases, knowing beforehand which system upgrades I would need, I unlocked each the very first time I found their respective homeworld sectors.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Mantis took forever for me. :/ Like 30-40 playthroughs doing nothing but hunting it.

Slug was a little easier, but still not easy.
fylth

Postby fylth » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Apart from the Engi ship you get for reaching Sector 5, the only ship I have is the Slug ship. I got it on my second run by flying through the Slug Nebula, one of my first nodes was one with the appropriate quest, so not all that hard for me (although I got pretty lucky and had read about the Slug quest a few days before so I knew roughly what choices to make)
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:17 am

Just now, for the first time ever, I played FTL for the sole purpose of trying for the Mantis ship, rather than just hoping it would happen on the way.

Got it.

YES.
Vind

Postby Vind » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Early teleporter is always a good thing.The only hard part in getting mantis cruiser is to get mantis homeworld spawned and not miss it at sector map.Got it on a lucky playthrough, mantis homeworld was 4th sector, got encounter at last sector beacon near exit.
Last edited by Vind on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.