Dear Subset: Unbelievably Blatant Ripoff of FTL Available On Steam

General discussion about the game.
Cragspyder

Dear Subset: Unbelievably Blatant Ripoff of FTL Available On Steam

Postby Cragspyder » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:08 pm

I am so angry about this I can barely type, so I am just going to copy/paste my post on the Steam Forums about this.

With the Steam demo-game fest currently going on I tried the demo of a game called Trigon: Space Story. This developer, Sernur.tech, has literally copied your game down to the smallest game mechanic, tacked on some bottom-tier Unity assets and particles effects, and called it a day.

They did not even attempt to hide it, so I assume they believe they are immune to any consequences. That's probably true, of course, sketchy game developers asset flip games to make a quick buck all the time, and for all I know, making a big deal out of it will only attract more rubes/customers.

So I could be playing into their hands right now, but I am just so angry about this. FTL is one of my favourite games of all time and the idea that some random no-talent leeches could be so obvious about their theft makes my head spin.
isla

Re: Dear Subset: Unbelievably Blatant Ripoff of FTL Available On Steam

Postby isla » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:50 pm

Hi there,
I think I saw your post about this on reddit earlier today as well (if that was you). Long story short I can't say too much about it, other than there's no copyright on game design so since no FTL IP is being used nothing really illegal is actually happening. That said, thank you also for the heads up. I'll be keeping an eye on it just in case.
thereaverofdarkness

Re: Dear Subset: Unbelievably Blatant Ripoff of FTL Available On Steam

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:30 pm

It's not a blatant ripoff. It is STRONGLY inspired by FTL: Faster Than Light but it is not the same game. It has its own graphics, its own text, its own gameplay, its own story, its own events. Not one thing is copied over directly. It merely plays highly similarly to FTL. The two are no more the same game than Xenonauts and X-Com: UFO Defense are the same game.