Post your best ship setup

General discussion about the game.
Maestro Ugo

Post your best ship setup

Postby Maestro Ugo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:47 am

Post here the best ship combo you have managed to assemble.

This is mine, right after the 2nd phase of the final fight (you can't see the right side of the picture but I have had lvl. 3 doors and sensors and lvl. 2 piloting):

This is Kestrel A, obviously. I started this run to unlock "all different systems on Kestrel" to get the B variant and try to unlock a few ships I needed along the way. It turned out much better than I had anticipated, as this was the first time I beat the boss without taking a single point of hull damage.

Ion blast II is probably my favorite weapon in the game, as it can take care of any shields out there. Coupled with two Burst lasers II, it's just a deadly combo. Simply target the ion at the shields and the lasers at weapons and any ship in the game is toast after a few volleys.

Boarding crew of fully trained Rock and Mantis are used to teleport in the opponent's sick-bay after it has been taken out with lasers and they can overcome 3 or maybe even 4 opponents. I think I captured a dozen ships in the last three sectors this way.

Cloaking is used exclusively to evade missiles (my only regret in this game was that i wasn't able to find a defensive drone along the way) and bosses superweapons. A all-around assist crew of an Engi and a 2nd Mantis are used to repair and/or fight intruders while the boarding team is off-ship, although they have been quite docile in the last few sectors.

In total, I managed to unlock type B, plus a Slug cruiser (can't wait to try the anti-bio beam) and got to sector 9 without a single fatality (also a first), and managed a highscore.

So, people: post your best combos so far.
Dodo

Re: Post your best ship setup

Postby Dodo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:22 am

Wish I'd seen this post earlier, I would have screenshotted some good setups.
peke

Postby peke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:46 am

Three BL2s from events and one from shop, about 2000 scrap total, mantis+rockman boarding team from sector 2 onwards. I guess it could've been even better with defensive drone, but I could drill through weapon systems with one volley so I didn't worry about missiles all that much.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Wow, peke. Now that's true spirit of the Red Tail : D
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Could you all tell what game mode (easy or normal) you were playing when you obtained your awesome ship setup? ;)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Maestro Ugo

Postby Maestro Ugo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:29 pm

boa13 wrote:Could you all tell what game mode (easy or normal) you were playing when you obtained your awesome ship setup? ;)

I have not played a single game on easy, and proud of it.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:42 pm

You can be proud indeed. :mrgreen:
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Kajitii

Postby Kajitii » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:23 am

I don't have a screenshot of it, but I did have a ship that sported Burst Laser II, Dual Laser, Heavy Laser I, and a Glaive Beam. Oh, and a weapons pre-igniter augment.

I laughed at all the ships up until the boss, and got my pre-igniter achievement.
ThaumusAudux

Postby ThaumusAudux » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 am

Just before round III with the boss ship on normal. Augments are stealth weapons, drone rec. and scrap rec. Finally unlocked the Stealth Cruiser on this run :D

EDIT: Image resized.
Fangz

Postby Fangz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am

After I got the power to light 2x Burst Laser II + Halberd Beam (Pegasus/S. Bomb alternatively) + 2 Def. Drones I + (just for sadistic purposes and scrap whoring) Crew Teleporter with 2 Mantis (unfortunately they were err...accidentally left aboard the flagship when it exploded into pieces), I don't think the game could do anything to stop me.

Pegasus is arguably the best missile launcher available (2x missiles for the cost of 1) and the Halberd Beam in conjunction with 2x Burst Lasers II means no shield/weapon system/helm on the first volley. I barely used missiles as you can see on the picture. It was there just for supporting purposes (against high evasion ships with no Def. Drones).

Of course this was a pretty lucky run considering it was on normal (stopped playing easy a while ago). All the weapons, apart from the Pegasus which I bought on a store, were lucky finds.

A pair of Engis doing repair work also helped a lot. One stationed at the bow, the other at the aft.

The two Mantis (R.I.P) I used mainly for gold mining and the absolute pleasure of making ghost ships.

That's it. :)