MODERATORS HELP PLS

General discussion about the game.
SushaBrancaleone

MODERATORS HELP PLS

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi.
I know matthew and justin partially manage and communicate on these very forums, and I imagine they are very busy of late.

However, I am also sure that there are other moderators.

There is a dude in these forums named louisvitton1988 who has been creating out of topic threads fora while.

Today he has posted atleast 4 such threads and I have seen similar threads before (walls of texts about the shoe market...). This dude does NOT belong here and needs to be banned asap, he is bashing the community and using our space (supposedly here to allow for the gamers of FTL to be a comunity) to advertize his own interests or whatever...

it shouldn't happen or more precisely it shouldn't be allowed to keep happening.

whats this dudes problem anyway...

I just think he might have a grudge with justin &/or matthew as i dont see any particular affinity between the target audience of a sci fi video game and the target audience of prada... comepletely different soclal milliuex's ...

edit as requested:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3598&p=18740&view=show#p18740
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3597
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3596
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3595
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3594
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3593

all the above posts are buy louisvuitton1988

as you can see they are all consecutive and they are all about shoe companies...
they are also still all in the first page of this forum
Last edited by SushaBrancaleone on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xdiesp

Re: MODERATORS HELP PLS

Postby xdiesp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Its just a spambot, dont panic. Just PM the mods and they will deal with it when theyre on. Had it been someone with a grudge, hello goatsees lol.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:03 pm

:D
Starbug

Postby Starbug » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:48 pm

xdiesp wrote:Its just a spambot, dont panic.

;)
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Looks like another Mod took care of it (or the name was not exactly louisvitton1988, can you link where he posted?). You should have seen this place a while ago, we used to have a huge spambot problem... ick. Sorry I'm not around much, I'm on the road and not near a computer often.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Maupin

Postby Maupin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:10 pm

The name is "louisvuitton1988" and if you look at the message topics in this forum you'll see a bunch of the bot's messages...

First post and great game! (Though "easy" and "normal" should probably be renamed to "normal" and "hard," respectively, in my opinion.)
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Starbug wrote:
xdiesp wrote:Its just a spambot, dont panic.

;)

:D

Marvin always reminded me of a round-headed stormtrooper. :o
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

IIRC cugeqsxv made a post that has since been deleted that was a wall of text about shoes and mentioned Louis Vuitton Outlet or something like that. So this guy may have more than one bot posting this stuff.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Hey SushaBrancaleone, thanks for your concern, but no need to panic. ;)

Here's some explanation about spam, quoted from an earlier post of mine:

boa13 wrote:We are not dealing with spam bots, but with spam workers. People whose sole income is being paid to spend their days manually spamming forums. Some barely speak English, others are smarter, they imitate normal forum discussion and include spam links in their signatures. Some work alone from home, others work in teams, with managers and performance objectives. Most post three messages at most, and then go to other forums or create new accounts. A few inundate the forum with 25 messages at once, that was the most recent case.

Spam does not come to forums by chance or by mistake. Spammers monitor Google search results, hot topics in the news, web site rankings, and try to place their links on any site that has a modicum of success. It is no surprise that they arrived in force at the time FTL was released. Their purpose is generally to increase the Google rank of the advertised websites, so it does not matter much if the text is gibberish or if you don't click the link; what matters is that the Google Bot is fooled a little bit, and the advertised website ends up higher in Google Search results.

Unfortunately, as many of you have noted, this forum skin lacks a report button. The best thing you can do when you spot spam is leave it alone (do not reply to it, do not quote it), and see if it goes away by itself (currently the forum is cleaned two to three times per day). In particularly egregious cases, or if you just feel like it, you can also send me a PM with a link to the post itself (right-click on the post title to get the URL) and/or the username of the spammer (which I can use to remove his other posts).

Note that in addition to me, you can also PM Grognak and Drasha when you spot spam.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:55 pm

cheers i will rem. that.
:)