Missiles not an option?

General discussion about the game.
Oddible

Missiles not an option?

Postby Oddible » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:52 am

I keep getting to the final stage and running out of missiles. It seems that even if I only have a single weapon that requires missiles that I'd need to hoard missiles the entire game and have 50+ at the end in order for them to be at all functional in the final stage. I keep reading stories of people using missiles but I just cannot fathom how it can be done. Last battle I went in with a Rock ship, 30 missiles, the Artemis, an S.Bomb, a Pike, and a Heavy Laser II and I couldn't get past the 2nd (drone) phase with the mothership before I ran out of missiles (yes, this was 2 missile weapons).

I have to guess that the only way is with a single missile launcher - so which do you choose?

Edit - though now that I think of it, on the drone phase I should swap out all my missile launchers because the drones are shooting them down and change to teleport bombs and drones I suppose.
ApSciMorgs

Re: Missiles not an option?

Postby ApSciMorgs » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 am

Pegasus Missiles give you two projectiles fired for every unit of ammunition you feed it. Just putting it out there.
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 am

I made pretty much the exact same mistake my first playthrough. The Artemis and small bomb aren't exactly high damage weapons, meaning that you need to remember to use them on the bosses shield room so you can keep up the pressure with your energy weapons. Also remember that during the second stage the boss gets a defense drone that will start shooting down your missiles.
froz

Postby froz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:46 am

Well, if you want to rely on missiles and bombs as your main weapon, then yes - you would have to buy every missile in every shop you find during the hole game.

In my opinion it's not a good strategy though. You should have other weapon or crew teleport and only use missiles as a support. In recent games I finished I had 20-30 missiles between the first boss round and it was enough.

Also try to limit your missiles consumption in all battles - only use missile when it's vital and if you wouldn't use it, you would get hurt. For example, you can use missile/bomb at the start of battle, take out enemy weapons then teleport to that room your crew. This way enemy won't be able to hit you with anything.
If you don't have crew teleporter, you can use missile to take out enemy shields, then use other weapons or drones. No need to use missiles several times in one battle.

Your weapons ladout (artemis, s.bomb, pike and heavy laser II) is to be honest, not the best. S.bomb is not that good, it eats missiles supply quickly for low damage. You have nothing to destroy enemy shields, heavy laser won't do that, so you probably had to use artemis and s.bomb and target boss' shields. That won't work, since it has so many crew. My guess is you probably end up using artemis and s.bomb the hole battle and you almost didn't use pike...

And yes, you are right - there is no use of 1 missile weapon when enemy has defense drone. If you use 2 in the same time, one would probably get him, but that's still a waste.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 am

Missiles are more of a utility weapon then some thing that should be used to destroy ships. They are good for things like taking out a ships shields and then vollying your beam weapons or things like ion bombs for disabling things. If you are trying to just use missile weapons to take out a ship it won't end well. (there is a reason there isn't a no beam weapons used achievement)
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
Muhvi

Postby Muhvi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 am

If i have missile weapon, i generally only use it in the beginning to take out enemy shields/weapons/other subsystems.

For the first 4-5 sectors, you should be generally using only 1-2 missiles per enemy ship on average.

If you are using missiles, easy way to deal enemies in the few first sectors is that you upgrade your shielding to 2 shields ASAP. Then only use 1 missile to break through enemy shielding and hit shield generator. Then use blaster to shoot the generator and when its broken, shoot once on some other system and then back to the generator on next shot. Then repeat. The idea is that you don't use missiles if not necessary. And remember that taking 2-3 hull damage is preferable to using 1 missile. (hull damage can be fixed usually with 1-3 scraps, missiles cost 6).
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:08 pm

As others have noted, you really want to get something to back up your missile launchers so you don't need to use just them to kill enemy ships. In the Rock Cruiser's case, your best option is likely to be a crew teleporter -- shops seem to sell systems more often than they sell weapons, crew, or drones so you have good odds of picking one up, and the Rockmen make excellent boarders with their 150 health. Your battle strategy then becomes "missile out the enemy's weapons and/or medbay, and teleport your crew into their cockpit (or medbay, after you damage it)". Then you can just kill their crew with your crew, not using any more ammo and getting extra money for keeping the enemy ship intact.