Fire Beam useless?

General discussion about the game.
Tuesday

Re: Fire Beam useless?

Postby Tuesday » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Derakon wrote:
All that said, you'd probably get better results by just causing a breach -- breacher missiles and the breach bomb are both much better than the fire beam.

A breach cant spread into other rooms.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm

No, it can't; that's the only thing that fire has over breach. Breach weapons pierce shields, though, which is the biggest problem with the fire beam.

Basically what I'm saying is, if your priority is to inconvenience your enemies as much as possible, use shield-piercing breach weapons. If your priority is to set stuff on fire, though, then hey, have fun!
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:04 pm

The most valuable part of the fire-beam is that it can hit multiple rooms at once, no breach weapon can do that.

Yes, breach-bombs and missiles can the job done without back-up, but if you have the weapons support needed to use the fire-beam, then it causes far more devastation in the long-run.
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm

The advantage of fire is that it keeps doing damage to systems and enemy crew as it burns. Breaches on the other hand tend to be repaired pretty quickly long before all the air has been drained from a room and I find that trying to kill off the crew using only breach weapons ends up wasting a lot of missiles.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Correct. For instance, if you were to set a fire in a room and simultaneously breach it, the enemy would take damage from the fire. When the fire was put out by no oxygen the oxygen levels would be low enough that the enemy starts to asphyxiate.
JonasIV

Postby JonasIV » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:06 pm

I use fire beam to entertain me, I love watching the enemy crew running around putting out fires while dying from already flamed oxygen supply, and then watching them cower into non-flamed rooms and waiting until they run out of oxygen :twisted: