Enemy ship flees with my mantises on board

General discussion about the game.
Gorlom

Re: Enemy ship flees with my mantises on board

Postby Gorlom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:09 pm

BuzuBuzu wrote:By the way, can someone explain the effects of fighting in compartments other than the helm?
Sure thing. In other compartments the guy in the helm usually doesn't abandon his post to come and help fight you. In the enemy medbay their guys heals while your guys get raped. (reverse is true for fighting in your own medbay. if your guys can stand in the same sub system room long enough without getting into combat they can damage that system (and hull) one bar at a time. (AI usually prioritize fixing vital subsystems over repelling boarders.
Hey Gorlom, I guess it's true what they say, "Great minds think alike" ... or at least play alike. I recognize you from the Xenonauts forum.

I wouldn't go as far as claiming I have a Great mind, opinionated yes, but great is probably a stretch. Justin and Matthew have great minds ^^
Always nice to see others enjoying Xenonauts :)
Unlucky Scarecrow

Postby Unlucky Scarecrow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:42 am

My only issue is that the two Mantis can't kick the crap out of the human after the jump, and then just charge the FTL and jump back. I understand the game isn't designed to account for this (I don't think even a mod could do it), but it just seems so silly to lose fights that have basically already been won just because the ship jumped and (as far as the game is concerned) stops existing.
Targetstar

Postby Targetstar » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:01 am

Or when your Fed cruiser uses its OP beam, cause you forgot its not controlled with the other weapons and didn't disable it >.>, that is annoying.
BlackAlpha

Postby BlackAlpha » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:28 am

It's a shame that fighting for the controls of a ship is useless. You manage to barricade yourself inside the bridge, but then the enemy waltzes in, uses one arm to kunfu your guys while his other arm is configuring an FTL jump. :roll:
ScottyDoesKnow

Postby ScottyDoesKnow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:29 am

Unlucky Scarecrow wrote:My only issue is that the two Mantis can't kick the crap out of the human after the jump, and then just charge the FTL and jump back. I understand the game isn't designed to account for this (I don't think even a mod could do it), but it just seems so silly to lose fights that have basically already been won just because the ship jumped and (as far as the game is concerned) stops existing.

This is what I came to say. They should really have some sort of screen where it shows the enemy ship in the middle of the screen with some sort of FTL drive effects in the background and if you finish off the crew you get your guys back. It makes no sense the way it works now, really just lazy programming.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 am

ScottyDoesKnow wrote:
Unlucky Scarecrow wrote:My only issue is that the two Mantis can't kick the crap out of the human after the jump, and then just charge the FTL and jump back. I understand the game isn't designed to account for this (I don't think even a mod could do it), but it just seems so silly to lose fights that have basically already been won just because the ship jumped and (as far as the game is concerned) stops existing.

This is what I came to say. They should really have some sort of screen where it shows the enemy ship in the middle of the screen with some sort of FTL drive effects in the background and if you finish off the crew you get your guys back. It makes no sense the way it works now, really just lazy programming.

Less "lazy programming" and more "not how the game designers wanted it to work".
ScottyDoesKnow

Postby ScottyDoesKnow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:16 am

Icehawk78 wrote:Less "lazy programming" and more "not how the game designers wanted it to work".

I don't know if that's true. Are there any dev comments on it? Obviously I don't know their thought process, but the way it works doesn't make much sense. So I would think that if it were 0 effort to implement, they would have it.

I'm not hating on the devs, I really don't care that much. Just saying I don't think it makes sense the way it works now.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 am

The devs comment on it (works as intended) have been posted in another thread. The link to that thread is in the first comment in this very thread. Here it is again: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2492
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
ScottyDoesKnow

Postby ScottyDoesKnow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Actually it looks like what he's commenting on is whether the enemy ship can jump while fighting in the cockpit, not whether there should be a way to save your crew if they jump.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Well sure, but the only case the problem comes up is when you have sent crew fighting in enemy cockpit. So of course he knows the crew is lost in such a case.

I agree it should be less of a surprise, and maybe there should be a way for your crew to come back. Note that the same would need to happen to your ship. If you manage to press the Jump button while badly invaded by enemies, you should lose the game.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.