Enemy Cloak

General discussion about the game.
Matsumae

Enemy Cloak

Postby Matsumae » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:29 am

Loving FTL so far, finally getting to the point where I know the game well enough to start clearing the boss :) Federation cruiser is my favourite so far!

My question is about something that imo doesn't make sense... when enemy ships cloak, why do my weapons stop charging?

I mean... after a battle, when there's no enemy to fight, my weapons charge fine. so clearly having nothing to shoot at isn't an issue...

If only my weapons would keep charging I could then attack with a full spread of my weapons the instant whatever enemy I'm fighting uncloaks.

This is especially frustrating when my weapons all fire, and the enemy cloaks while the missiles/lasers are in flight (similar to how us players use the cloak all the time ;P)

but then my weapons all sit at zero charge until he appears again...
hborrgg

Re: Enemy Cloak

Postby hborrgg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:20 am

Well, if enemy weapons kept charging then that would make extra cloak time pretty useless. The way I thought of it the charge time also includes your weapons' targeting systems which aren't able to lock on when the enemy goes invisible.
holtr94

Postby holtr94 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:36 am

I like to think that the cloaking actually messes with the weapons targeting, sort of like a jamming signal. It would be a lot easier for a ship to jam sensors/weapons, than to completely disappear.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:44 am

As noted, though, your weapons can charge fine when there's no target whatsoever to shoot at -- and you can change your target without resetting the charge timer either.

This is one of those things that just boils down to "it works better as a play mechanic", frankly. The cloak gives its owner "extra turns" in combat.