Harder please.

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Harder please.

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Any chance that after a while (say a month or two) a new extra hard game mode could be added? Pretty please?

I played the game for hours and hours and it's one of the best games i ever played purely based on personal satisfaction. It won't knock VampireTM Bloodlines off it's perch but it comes close. So good job guys, really great result.

But now that i've played it 40 times and scored 3 victories (and two lost battles against the cheater), i would like it to be a little harder. My first try with the Rocky Bulwark and i blew the highscore away by almost 1000 poinst and even hopped a few beacons between rounds with 'you know who' just to grab extra loot. It got a little hairy in the end but there was no way i was going to loose. In fact had i not tried to save my crewmembers i could have won it much faster.

The next games are going to be a case of try and do the same thing with a different ship/layout but my chances are too good now that i know what mistakes NOT to make. I could allways be a little too greedy or adventurous but the learning curve has evened out a bit.

Harder please. Not too much. Not so much that it changes the game completely or that it's a painfull boring chore to play. I'm not asking for Doom's Nightmare! mode, just make the game harder for those who feel like it. I want to fear each new beacon or encounter choice. To be desperate enough to take on the spiders for supplies. To take risks to be able to complete that game and pay a high price for mistakes. I'm kinda cruising too easily now.

And it will probably feel obligatory to complain that the game is hard enough as it is. It sure was hard. My second victory came after 37 attempts. 37 soul crushing failures. But 3rd and 4th victories come after attempts 39 and 40. It's getting to easy and the fun has dropped a bit, so i belive the great game that FTL is would be greater still if i could up the stakes now that i feel too good and cocky to lose :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Retro

Re: Harder please.

Postby Retro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Yeah it would be nice, but (and I'm not knocking you here) I do feel that I spent £10 in the best possible way, so I certainly don't expect anything more for my money. Although I'm not saying I wouldn't appreciate it :D
Caliph

Postby Caliph » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm having a hard enough time as it is, but I can tell I'm getting better, not normally losing so quick.

When I get to the point where I can beat Normal most of the time I play it I'll be wanting it to be harder as well. For me the draw of the game is that it is so hard, it makes your success rewarding when you achieve it.

I'm all for harder difficulties, as long as we don't change the ones we currently have. Maybe add more, like "Hard", "Extra Hard", "Insane", "Player Must Die", etc.
Red Earth

Postby Red Earth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:43 pm

If they wanted to make it impossible they'd just give the AI specific targeting. Can you imagine if they specifically targeted your shields with missiles and then your weapons room? You'd never get anywhere.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:28 am

Well i... lost, um. Twice. Yeah not so cocky anymore.

The Torus wasn't up to it and i lost it in sector 6 after a pretty miserable run. Unlocked the stealth cruiser at least. And the Stealth cruiser did poorly as well because it was a new experience. I tried the pacifisim run and just barely made it but getting fuel was a major headache. And unbelivably the stores were full of Glaives, Burst MkIIIs, Breach Bombs and the like... doh!
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.