Your dumbest FTL moments

General discussion about the game.
wanderthe5th

Re: Your dumbest FTL moments

Postby wanderthe5th » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 pm

[Spoilers for the mystery ship and final boss battle]

I had only been playing this run to unlock some ships, so I didn't necessarily intend to make it to the boss. But it had been going so well I decided to see how it would go. With the crystal ship B I had four combat masters (three crystal people and a mantis), a glaive beam, laser burst 3, the pegasus, and a healing bomb, and a pre-igniter. I had gotten so much scrap that I had most of my systems fully upgraded. By the time I got to the boss, it was by far the best run I had ever played. IMO it was almost perfect.

On the first phase, I sent two boarders over to the missile launcher and then to the ion beam. I tore the ship apart with the laser burst and glaive beam. The flagship was down to 1 hull point while I was still at full. My first pair of boarders were back and my teleporter was charged again, but the enemy crew was repairing the shields quickly and their ion weapon was still online so I decided to wait until my second party had destroyed it before beaming them back. So, temporarily forgetting why that was such a stupid idea, I just let my boarders deal the final blow and get sucked into space when the wing they were in tore off.
slugfest

Postby slugfest » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:29 am

I love this thread.

Add me to the list of people doing various stupid things with the O2 -- all the usual: forgetting a hatch open, not realizing the O2 scrubber was down, etc..

But notable dumb stuff I've done:

1) Ill-timed laser fire taking out the bomb I've *just* planted in an enemy's room, dealing no damage with either.

2) Taking down enemy weapons, then getting busy with repairing my ship, and after a *while* glancing over and realizing there's still an enemy there, and he's half-repaired now, as well.

3) I'm cursing myself out just thinking about this -- I do this ALL the time -- I spend scrap before seeing if my new location shows me any new stores. And even if I'm at a store, I may have just revealed another. I'm always spending scrap on stuff I'd rather have spent at that store right in front of me.

4) The piece de la resistance for me has to be fending off a boarding party from the medical bay. It's 4 on 4 and they've got mantises. But I've also opened the room to vacuum to hasten the demise of these boarders and countered by throwing an extra energy bar on medical, when all of a sudden I'm hearing a number of near-death signals from my crew. I do a double-take. It's not the medical bay; it's the shield generator room next to it (on a Zoltan B). Oops.

EDIT: Egads, you can't FIT four crew in the medical bay. Now I really feel dumb. lol
Asraniel

Postby Asraniel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 am

Taking out the shield of the enemy ship, boarding it and attacking the weapons room. Ah, did i mention it was in an asteroid field?
wanderthe5th

Postby wanderthe5th » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 am

slugfest wrote:3) I'm cursing myself out just thinking about this -- I do this ALL the time -- I spend scrap before seeing if my new location shows me any new stores. And even if I'm at a store, I may have just revealed another. I'm always spending scrap on stuff I'd rather have spent at that store right in front of me.

Me too. I'll go a whole sector thinking about how much I need to find a store and then, as soon as I've upgraded my shields and gone broke, I see a store I could have gone to.
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:47 pm

My ship was on fire, the O2 was out (along with many other things), and my crew was low on health. Somehow, I repaired all the systems without losing crew, and warped away. There was a ship there that I promptly destroyed, but my crew was losing health. I didn't know why, the other ship didn't take out any of my systems, there were no doors open... Luckily, I was streaming, and my friend messaged me. "YOUR O2 DUMBASS"

I had put more power into something else than it had before, so when I fixed the O2 it didn't have enough to come back on.

Whoops. :D
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 pm

undergroundmonorail wrote:My ship was on fire, the O2 was out (along with many other things), and my crew was low on health. Somehow, I repaired all the systems without losing crew, and warped away. There was a ship there that I promptly destroyed, but my crew was losing health. I didn't know why, the other ship didn't take out any of my systems, there were no doors open... Luckily, I was streaming, and my friend messaged me. "YOUR O2 DUMBASS"

I had put more power into something else than it had before, so when I fixed the O2 it didn't have enough to come back on.

Whoops. :D

L
O
L
!
!
!
!
!

Meh, I did some of the above too... venting my oxygen forever, blowing up my boarding parties... even had my boarding parties FTLed away by hostiles!
tman7919

Postby tman7919 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:34 pm

mine was that i just got the game and didn't do the tutorial so i didn't know how to move and my first crew member died in an evasion (kirk)
http://youtu.be/fLEQLDMyOks
Captain's Signature as of Stardate; 10.20.12
Supplemental as of Stardate; 10.28.12
Unlucky Scarecrow

Postby Unlucky Scarecrow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 pm

"Rockmen are immune to fire, right? *launches Fire Bomb into the middle of the room I'm fighting enemy crew in"

Apparently the explosion itself can still damage Rockmen.
Oddjob870

Postby Oddjob870 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 pm

I was so close to getting the bulwark, I hadn't taken any damage from the solar flares, and I dodged all of it's missles, then it told me to go to a rebel controlled sector for some reason and it derped out and I had to make my way through the rebel space. F you bulwark. F you.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Oddjob870 wrote:I was so close to getting the bulwark, I hadn't taken any damage from the solar flares, and I dodged all of it's missles, then it told me to go to a rebel controlled sector for some reason and it derped out and I had to make my way through the rebel space. F you bulwark. F you.

Ion weapons make that fight a cinch. Ionize their shields and weapons, and the Rock crew of the enemy vessel will be too busy putting out fires to do anything else...

But ouch. I feel your pain, brother. I feel your pain.
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.