Breach Missiles are bullshit

General discussion about the game.
Derakon

Re: Breach Missiles are bullshit

Postby Derakon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm

I just lost a fight to a Slug ship who breached my weapons, shields, engine, and O2 generator, in that order, without once missing (level-4 engines and trained pilot and engineer). I went in with full health and an offense that had been stomping every ship in sight, and I still got murdered. Four damage, plus practically guaranteed breach, plus good fire chance, all for 3 energy might be just a little excessive.

(On the flipside, the Hermes missile is terrible. It uses 3 times the energy the Artemis does, has the same cooldown, and only does 1 more damage and marginally higher fire/breach chance)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Is that the one that fires two shots? If it is, it has a good chance of getting past a defense drone.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 pm

No, the Pegasus is the two missile one.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:36 am

Ah, my bad.

The Hermes is vindicated because of it's extra damage for the same price when compared to the Atremis. You spend fewer missiles to take down an enemy ship, and since missiles are both costly and difficult to obtain at times, it's worth having to reroute some power to save on missile use.

More advanced ships also have higher level weapons and shields to damage. Suddenly the Hermes isn't so crap anymore.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Red Earth

Postby Red Earth » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:58 am

Patchumz wrote:Breach Missiles are harmless with a Defense II drone :). Now, Breach Bombs... those a total bullshit :D. (And that's why I use them religiously)

I just got good use out of a Breach Bomb on the Boss' med bay to keep them from healing. Still had to fight in that room though to block repairs.

Unlucky Scarecrow wrote:Boarding drones are scary until you realize Defense Drones actually shoot them down en route as if they were missiles. That's pretty damn handy.

In my last game my Defense Drone II wasn't shooting them down for some reason. It must have been that their attack drone was distracting it trying to intercept point blank shots without success and then not being charged when the drone comes.

Starbug wrote:Best thing to do is to lob a missile or two at the enemy drone bay, then he won't have the power to keep the drone online.
I used a breach bomb. I was low on missiles due to using a lot of breach bombs and heal bombs but a breach bomb in the drone room stopped the boarding drone in it's tracks.
Durus

Postby Durus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:44 am

If you hate breaches you need to unlock the Slug ship. it has a self sealing hull. If you're facing off against a boarding drone, usually the hull can self seal before the drone has taken a bar off the system then you can send in the red shirts to deal with it. It's fantastic. Altho I went defense drone 1 against the final boss's 6 boarding drones and laughed all the way thru the combat
Vind

Postby Vind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:15 am

Missiles in general is lacking - they miss too much - definitely need a bonus to hit or price reduce - especially then enemy ships have unlimited number of them. Ive seen hull missile miss 8 times in a row.
Vind

Postby Vind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 am

Actually defense 2 drone is worse vs missile salvos as its wasting shots on lasers too. I found defense 1 drone much better in this regard - it shoots only missiles and meteorites.
Vind

Postby Vind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:19 am

Actually defense 2 drone is worse vs missile salvos as its wasting shots on lasers too. I found defense 1 drone much better in this regard - it shoots only missiles and meteorites. Also as defense drone orbits shield bubble it cant shoot missiles on opposite side of ship except on engi torus cruiser which have perfect round shield.
the Scientist

Postby the Scientist » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 am

Vind wrote:Missiles in general is lacking - they miss too much - definitely need a bonus to hit or price reduce - especially then enemy ships have unlimited number of them. Ive seen hull missile miss 8 times in a row.

AI ships definitely DO run out of missiles and drones eventually