Oh c'mon, this could have been a hilarious event. [spoil?]

General discussion about the game.
Unlucky Scarecrow

Oh c'mon, this could have been a hilarious event. [spoil?]

Postby Unlucky Scarecrow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:37 am

You arrive to find yourself extremely close to a star. You receive a message from a pirate ship, "I'm glad you arrived; our ship is damaged and we were getting desperate... I hope you don't mind if we take yours." Hostiles detected on board our ship!

You don't know how the intruders managed to get past your Zoltan Energy Shield!

1. Continue...

I would like it a lot better if it went like this instead.

You arrive to find yourself extremely close to a star. You receive a message from a pirate ship, "I'm glad you arrived; our ship is damaged and we were getting desperate... I hope you don't mind if we take yours."

1. Continue...
2. Oh wait, I have a Zoltan Energy Shield.

(pick option 2)

After the transmission ends, the bodies of four pirates appear outside of your ship at the edge of your shield. They squirm around a bit before exploding from decompression. How unfortunate for them, but better them than you.
bigbangnet

Re: Oh c'mon, this could have been a hilarious event. [spoil

Postby bigbangnet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 am

With some graphics of those bodies exploding of course :twisted:

On the other hand, putting some more humour in the game wouldn't hurt. Taking it too seriously could hurt it in some way.
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:53 am

I'm pretty sure it's an urban myth that you explode from decompression in space.
Techercizer

Postby Techercizer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:02 am

Zuriki wrote:I'm pretty sure it's an urban myth that you explode from decompression in space.

You do not "explode" from the 1 atmosphere pressure difference between human norm and vacuum. You do, however, boil into nothing due to the massive amount of electromagnetic radiation being emitted by the star this happens around.
Arcalane

Postby Arcalane » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 am

Techercizer wrote:
Zuriki wrote:I'm pretty sure it's an urban myth that you explode from decompression in space.

You do not "explode" from the 1 atmosphere pressure difference between human norm and vacuum. You do, however, boil into nothing due to the massive amount of electromagnetic radiation being emitted by the star this happens around.

...that's even more preposterous than flat-out exploding. :| Yes, all the liquid outside of your body would 'boil' out of you due to the pressure difference (note outside; your blood would not, since it's inside you and thus remains pressurized)... but then you'd probably just slowly dessicate. Then you'd probably drift into a gravity well.

Staying cold in space is hard. Oh sure the background temperature is all of 3 kelvin if you're in the right place, but losing heat close to a star is a pain in the ass. It's why designs tending towards realism tend to have lots of radiator arrays they use like inverse solar arrays, radiating away excess heat.

The 'explosive' in 'explosive decompression' refers to the rate at which it occurs. Although a suitably explosive decompression between two very differing pressure levels can indeed result in a more conventional and literally 'explosive' decompression event.
Bushman

Postby Bushman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:46 am

This thread got nerdy fast.
Zironic

Postby Zironic » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:17 pm

The 'explosive' in 'explosive decompression' refers to the rate at which it occurs. Although a suitably explosive decompression between two very differing pressure levels can indeed result in a more conventional and literally 'explosive' decompression event.

Didn't Mythbusters do a test to see what happened if you suffered explosive decompression while inside an ancient deep diving suit? I think their human analogues liver ended up in the helmet.
apostateCourier

Postby apostateCourier » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Zironic wrote:

Didn't Mythbusters do a test to see what happened if you suffered explosive decompression while inside an ancient deep diving suit? I think their human analogues liver ended up in the helmet.

Actually, that's water pressure crushing said person. There's a much larger difference than 1 atmo between the surface and the bottom of the ocean!
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:17 pm

I like it. I'm tired of having intruders board me with my Zoltan ship but not being able to board enemy Zoltan ships.
Guswut

Postby Guswut » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Arcalane wrote:
Techercizer wrote:

...that's even more preposterous than flat-out exploding. :| Yes, all the liquid outside of your body would 'boil' out of you due to the pressure difference (note outside; your blood would not, since it's inside you and thus remains pressurized)... but then you'd probably just slowly dessicate. Then you'd probably drift into a gravity well.

Staying cold in space is hard. Oh sure the background temperature is all of 3 kelvin if you're in the right place, but losing heat close to a star is a pain in the ass. It's why designs tending towards realism tend to have lots of radiator arrays they use like inverse solar arrays, radiating away excess heat.

I'm fairly sure that you glossed over Techercizer reminding everyone that this random encounter takes place extremely close to a star. We aren't talking about hard vacuum, microgravity, and general background radiation levels. We are discussing being within range of a star sending solar flares our way every half a minute or so.