I don't know what I'm looking at here.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
shadowcrust

Re: Game of Drones

Postby shadowcrust » Sat May 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Enemy got 4 shields and a shield drone, I got five shots of laser. The shield drone recharges faster than my lasers. I cannot penetrate his defense, except for shooting down his drone(s). Eventually, his drone defense crumbles against my relentless laser shots. Showed it mostly for the pun, though ;-)
stvip

Postby stvip » Sat May 10, 2014 9:05 pm

shadowcrust wrote:Enemy got 4 shields and a shield drone, I got five shots of laser. The shield drone recharges faster than my lasers. I cannot penetrate his defense, except for shooting down his drone(s). Eventually, his drone defense crumbles against my relentless laser shots. Showed it mostly for the pun, though ;-)

I had run into a similar situation with a Defense II coupled with an Anti-Combat Drone preventing my shots (with Combat Drone support) from breaching through the shields. Same solution: wait until the shots destroy the drones and all drone parts are consumed away.

I've encountered the Game of Drones pun before, though - as an alias of a Starcraft II player (which also gives him the acronym of 'GOD').
Diet Water

Postby Diet Water » Sat May 10, 2014 9:20 pm

The fully spun-up Chain Laser should be able to destroy the Super Shield just as it's created and be ready to fire again before the drone creates another, but with all the misses that would be sure to occur, the drones would probably get destroyed before you destroyed the ship anyway. (or worse, you end up chipping the ship down into FTL range and have no reliable way to stop it)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun May 11, 2014 4:12 am

Aha. Yeah I've had similar situations many times since AE came out. Enough that I've gotten a bit good at predicting if my shots had a chance of hitting the drone on its next pass so I could retarget and get a new angle of entry.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sun May 11, 2014 5:00 am

Diet Water wrote:The fully spun-up Chain Laser should be able to destroy the Super Shield just as it's created and be ready to fire again before the drone creates another, but with all the misses that would be sure to occur, the drones would probably get destroyed before you destroyed the ship anyway. (or worse, you end up chipping the ship down into FTL range and have no reliable way to stop it)

I think you are right, the Chain Laser has 7 seconds cooldown and the shield drone 9, so if you time it correctly, the laser shots should arrive in time for knocking off the overcharge shield and then again for the normal shield. I actually tried that (without looking up the cooldowns), but apparently didn't time it well enough and then decided it's easier to shoot down the drones on autofire.

5thHorseman wrote:Aha. Yeah I've had similar situations many times since AE came out. Enough that I've gotten a bit good at predicting if my shots had a chance of hitting the drone on its next pass so I could retarget and get a new angle of entry.

Ah, sorry for letting you down with an underwhelming post, compared to my usual super exciting screenshots of flagships breaking apart ;-) I just had to find an excuse for the genius posting title.

stvip wrote:I've encountered the Game of Drones pun before, though - as an alias of a Starcraft II player (which also gives him the acronym of 'GOD').

Shame I wasn't the first, and I didn't realise it gives a nice acronym, too. I must contend, however, that GOD is short for General Operational Device (priority by precedence) :-)