I would pay ANOTHER $10 for a toolkit!

General discussion about the game.
EtherDragon

I would pay ANOTHER $10 for a toolkit!

Postby EtherDragon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

I would pay another $10 for a toolkit.
*If you support this idea, please respond here!*

I want to create my own ship designs (both player and enemy).
- Including the External Picture
- Engine Animations
- Room Layout
- Component Placement
- Component Cost Tables?
-- I want to know how the starting cost of the ship compares to the stock ships
-- Or, maybe the toolkit limits my initial cost to the most expensive stock chassis I have access to
-- I do not want to replace any existing chassis when making my own

I want to modify the settings for each of the difficulty choices, or have a custom difficulty that I can set with the tool-set
- I want to tune the speed of the rebel fleet
- I want to tune the starting Scrap
- I want to tune Scrap earnings per encounter
- I want to tune the difficulty of enemy ship selection

I want to create my own events.
- I want to write the encounter, and available choices
- I want to determine the possible random outcomes
- I want my encounters to be randomly populated in the universe, just like other encounters
-- Encounter earnings (for winning) should be set by the game difficulty, not by the author

I want to be able to test these changes in a sandbox of some kind

I would pay another $10 for this kind of toolkit, and I'm inclined to think that others would too.
*If you support this idea, please respond here!*
AtillaBosma

Re: I would pay ANOTHER $10 for a toolkit!

Postby AtillaBosma » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm

You could probably mod it in, we just still have to find out how due to the modding scene just starting.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 pm

I would, actually. I would quite gladly pay another $10 for a toolkit for this game.
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
Jalida

Postby Jalida » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes, I'd give them another $10 if said toolkit really allowed everything (or almost everything) that I'd want it to contain. If it was overly simplistic in what it allowed to be done then I'd probably pass on it.
CobraKaun

Postby CobraKaun » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Jalida wrote:Yes, I'd give them another $10 if said toolkit really allowed everything (or almost everything) that I'd want it to contain. If it was overly simplistic in what it allowed to be done then I'd probably pass on it.

Don't you think you should elaborate on what you would be looking for? You've basically just said" Ya, I'd get it if I like it but, but if I don't like it I won't get it". That in itself seems fairly obvious.
swixel

Postby swixel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

I would not support this as a paid addition. In the event the developers aren't using a tool to handle their data, I'd happy forgo it. If they decided to open it, that'd be great too. But your points scream of something akin to (if not being) entitlement issues. I mean, I doubt the devs needed a tool; anyone who really wants to mod it doesn't. It doesn't take long to how to read/edit XML, and various people are trying to open it now.

I was working on something (for fun) which did this, but I just lost interest.

EtherDragon wrote:I want to create my own ship designs (both player and enemy).
- Including the External Picture
- Engine Animations
- Room Layout
- Component Placement
- Component Cost Tables?
-- I want to know how the starting cost of the ship compares to the stock ships
-- Or, maybe the toolkit limits my initial cost to the most expensive stock chassis I have access to
-- I do not want to replace any existing chassis when making my own

I believe you can do all of this through the XML... except assets, you just drop them in a directory replacing the existing ones. It's all substitution based at the moment. (Yay hardcoding)

EtherDragon wrote:I want to modify the settings for each of the difficulty choices, or have a custom difficulty that I can set with the tool-set
- I want to tune the speed of the rebel fleet
- I want to tune the starting Scrap
- I want to tune Scrap earnings per encounter
- I want to tune the difficulty of enemy ship selection

That's also in the XML.

EtherDragon wrote:I want to create my own events.
- I want to write the encounter, and available choices
- I want to determine the possible random outcomes
- I want my encounters to be randomly populated in the universe, just like other encounters
-- Encounter earnings (for winning) should be set by the game difficulty, not by the author

That's also in the XML.

EtherDragon wrote:I want to be able to test these changes in a sandbox of some kind

That's called having another directory with the game files in it.
EtherDragon

Postby EtherDragon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:12 am

So, a quick clarification,

I know that most of what I'm looking for can be done by unpacking, editing, and re-packing the existing files. But, I want it all to be integrated into a tool-kit.
dcrjp1984

Postby dcrjp1984 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:14 am

EtherDragon wrote:So, a quick clarification,

I know that most of what I'm looking for can be done by unpacking, editing, and re-packing the existing files. But, I want it all to be integrated into a tool-kit.

I think what he was getting at is, that the devs used coding language and assets to create the game and not a 'dev' kit, and that everything you want to do can easily be done if you take the time to learn xml..

Somebody *might* take the time to write a program that does what you want it to do but, in all honesty why shoul they/we/me bother when we can just do it by hand, keeping a note of every change. (one change at a time, testing each little change doesn't break the game.)
thenightgaunt

Postby thenightgaunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:26 am

I'd pay for that as well!!
bigbangnet

Postby bigbangnet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 am

I'm afraid if theres a toolkit available, Subset Games wouldn't update their games and would abandon the project since if they release some dlc or content to make us pay no one would say since they got the toolkit. I would rather pay for some multiplayer content with some friends with this game than a toolkit