[MOD] Law's arsenal of Mods and Overpowered Weapons!

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Law

[MOD] Law's arsenal of Mods and Overpowered Weapons!

Postby Law » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:33 am

These are a few mods that I made after prodding about with some of the data files.
All mods require Grognak's mod manager, which is quite an ingenious way of managing mods.

You can download the mods from here, or from xenolith, in case you want to subscribe only to updates regarding mod changes.

Ion Beam v0.3
This beam was the first proper mod I made for FTL, which hooks into the Federation Cruiser's artillery system, which instead of firing a piercing regular beam, causes ion damage instead. It's very good for disabling systems temporarily, though it is seen to be moderately overpowered.

"Well, this doesn't bode well for the mission." (v0.3)

Download from Dropbox (v0.3) (Includes extra-difficult tutorial, and custom graphics, also for Federation Cruiser)
Video: FTL tutorial gone bad, Ion Beam v0.3

Splint Bombs v0.1
This next mod teleports 5 bombs into the enemy ship where possible, and causes hull breaches when successful. It was here that I learnt that trying to make the artillery system use missiles locks up the system entirely. Still fun to watch the enemy crew try to fix all those breaches, however. Like the Ion Beam, this replaces the default artillery that comes with the Federation Cruiser.

Download from Dropbox (v0.1)
Video: FTL demonstration, Splint Bombs v0.1

Rapid Missiles v0.5
This is a standard weapon mod (so it's very much compatible with the Ion Beam and the Splint Bombs), which simply increases the firing rate of missiles. Does 2 damage per shot, pierces shields, has a 4 second charge time, but requires 4 energy to operate and yes, your missile supply will drop quite quickly.

"Rapid Missiles: Nimble and quick." (v0.1)

Note: as of this version, it currently overrides the first layout of The Kestrel, giving you 12 missiles and the 4 energy needed to operate this piece of machinery. If you're running other weapon mods, be sure to check the mod order.
Rapid Missiles v0.5 - Dropbox
Rapid Missiles v0.1 - Dropbox
Video: FTL demonstration, Rapid Missiles v0.1

Athena Missile Launcher v0.1

The Athena is a missile launcher that doesn't use missiles. Instead, it is built over time, fueled by your reactor. There's nothing too special about this weapon (though the same could be said for a lot of the weapons here), but if you ever find yourself out of missiles and needing to get past a shield, this is a good choice.

Note: this overrides the layout A of The Kestrel, in providing the Athena for you when you begin. Using Rapid Missiles in conjunction? Check your mod order.

Download from Dropbox (v0.1)

Installation for .ftl files
1. Make sure that Grognak's mod manager works properly.
2. Copy the '.ftl' file to the 'mods' directory.
3. Launch the mod manager. You should see the mod you want as one of the options.
4. Select it and click 'OK'.
5. Wait for the unpacking and packing to complete, then launch FTL.
6. Profit!

A note about these weapons
Any mods that replace the artillery system won't work together, so when you're selecting the mods to use, select only ONE of the mods. Any breakage of the game, I hold no responsibility if you haven't installed the mod correctly.

Remember: For any of the above artillery mods, use only ONE AT A TIME.
Last edited by UltraMantis on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:41 am, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: xeno-mods link fixed
Forum mods, for your convenience!
Sick Boy

Re: [WIP][MOD-W] Ion Beam

Postby Sick Boy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 pm

for an ion beam to not be OP, it should require like 4 power and a long cooldown, but then again long cooldowns on ion weapon makes them nearly useless if you want to keep a system shut down.
DarkenDragon

Postby DarkenDragon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm

the reason there is no ion beam is because it would be over powered

the purpose of an ion is to disable systems, being able to disable multiple systems at the same time just makes it too powerful, you might say to just make it consume more resources, but still theres no real counter to it. just not a good idea all around

its either too powerful or very useless
BigD145

Postby BigD145 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Way too fast a firing rate. Make it 4 energy and 40 second recharge and it would still likely be considered OP.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Well, heres the thing. Ion is good vs shields, but beams are blocked by shields. This weapon has no weaknesses.
LaserSushi

Postby LaserSushi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Perhaps the balancing solution is more simple then one may guess.

1: Make the weapon cool-down at least double the effect.
2: Make it not bypass shields.

Simply it would be a useful stalling weapon, more handy to for very brief amounts of time reset shield-recharges, or weapon charging, but not devastating, in a way not filling the same nieche as ion weapons normally do at all.
Litestrider

Postby Litestrider » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:50 pm

That's awesome!

Like the others have said, probably pretty overkill as a regular weapon, but I think it would be a great addition as an alternate Federation Cruiser artillery beam.
Law

Postby Law » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:55 pm

LaserSushi wrote:Perhaps the balancing solution is more simple then one may guess.

Simply it would be a useful stalling weapon, more handy to for very brief amounts of time reset shield-recharges, or weapon charging, but not devastating, in a way not filling the same nieche as ion weapons normally do at all.

The first is easy enough to implement, but the second, I quite frankly have no idea how to do. The effect of the ion currently bypasses shields the moment it hits them, which I think is something hardcoded into FTL.

Litestrider wrote:That's awesome!

Like the others have said, probably pretty overkill as a regular weapon, but I think it would be a great addition as an alternate Federation Cruiser artillery beam.

I agree as well. The ion beam is quite an overpowered weapon right now. As an alternate artillery beam, it works quite well, plus it has a tendency to fire in a random direction (which is sort of the point here). The only issue with providing it as an alternative is that I actually have to replace the original artillery beam in order to get it working.

That, and the beam colour still can't be blue.

Ion Beam: Freeze your enemies' systems today!

Edit: Download available in the first post!
Forum mods, for your convenience!
F1R3_F1R3

Re: [MOD-W][WIP] Ion Beam

Postby F1R3_F1R3 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Looks so cool! but people are going to complain its OP
DarkenDragon

Postby DarkenDragon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Law wrote:
LaserSushi wrote:Perhaps the balancing solution is more simple then one may guess.

The first is easy enough to implement, but the second, I quite frankly have no idea how to do. The effect of the ion currently bypasses shields the moment it hits them, which I think is something hardcoded into FTL.

yea the second request isnt possible because your using the ion damage type, and that damage type already affects shields as it hits it. so unless you create your own ion damage type, you wont be able to change it. though it should only do 1 point of damage or how every many the ion damage is on the weapon.