FTL Forum Spam Alert!

General discussion about the game.
PatchworkAndCo

FTL Forum Spam Alert!

Postby PatchworkAndCo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi all,

There appears to be a spammer on this forum called something like "shastrimk8" who just joined today and keeps posting random spam posts along the lines of "Best love marriage $$$ Hindi" and that kind of thing. They are all utterly nonsensical and have nothing to do with FTL. Can one of the moderators please suspend this account? It's cluttering up the forum with spam posts, soon the entire first page will just consist of spam...

P.S. Sorry if I'm doing the wrong thing by reporting in this way, I'm new here, so if someone could tell me the proper way to report spammers, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
5thHorseman

Re: FTL Forum Spam Alert!

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45 pm

The forum's had a bit of a spammer problem for some time, but UltraMantis has been pretty good at smacking 'em down every time they pop up.

There's not much you can do as I don't think this forum has any reporting capabilities. But as UltraMantis would see the spam before he saw any reports of it, it's likely not even all that useful to have.

I personally just ignore them.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
PatchworkAndCo

Postby PatchworkAndCo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm

5thHorseman wrote:The forum's had a bit of a spammer problem for some time, but UltraMantis has been pretty good at smacking 'em down every time they pop up.

There's not much you can do as I don't think this forum has any reporting capabilities. But as UltraMantis would see the spam before he saw any reports of it, it's likely not even all that useful to have.

I personally just ignore them.

Thanks, 5thHorseman, glad to know it'll be sorted out. :D
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:34 pm

So much UltraMantis :D

I'd like to say that i am not the only moderator 'round these parts, just the one most commonly seen rockin' the green colored name. Others prefer stealth. They were ninja in past lives i think. ;)

Coincidentaly, moderators are offered a choice of wheter to use the more noticable green name and most prefer not to use it. But Mantis are green and my nick... well, it just fits doesn't it. :D

Anywho, the spammer has been taken care of. Unfortunatly they will try to return as they allways do. As allways, if you suspect you see spam, avoid clicking on their links (it's what they want after all) and optionally use the GreaseMonkey script in my signature to report the post. A moderator will be around shortly to take care of it.

Finally, welcome PatchworkAndCo, to the FTL forum. May all your Flagship battles end in victory! Or tears. It depends what kind of mood the RNG is in. Usually trolly. :lol:
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
PatchworkAndCo

Postby PatchworkAndCo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 pm

UltraMantis wrote:So much UltraMantis :D

I'd like to say that i am not the only moderator 'round these parts, just the one most commonly seen rockin' the green colored name. Others prefer stealth. They were ninja in past lives i think. ;)

Coincidentaly, moderators are offered a choice of wheter to use the more noticable green name and most prefer not to use it. But Mantis are green and my nick... well, it just fits doesn't it. :D

Anywho, the spammer has been taken care of. Unfortunatly they will try to return as they allways do. As allways, if you suspect you see spam, avoid clicking on their links (it's what they want after all) and optionally use the GreaseMonkey script in my signature to report the post. A moderator will be around shortly to take care of it.

Finally, welcome PatchworkAndCo, to the FTL forum. May all your Flagship battles end in victory! Or tears. It depends what kind of mood the RNG is in. Usually trolly. :lol:

Lol, thanks for the efficiency, UltraMantis! :)

I was going to post a topic about flagship failures actually, to add to all the other ones cluttering up the forum. :D
PatchworkAndCo

Postby PatchworkAndCo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Oh god.... As expected, the spammer is back, and the first two pages of the discussion forum consist entirely of spam....
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Posting about it honestly doesn't help... I have no idea why the spam filters aren't catching those "vashikaran" guys properly, but they get shut down and cleaned out as soon as someone's around to do so. In the mean time... it's obnoxious as all hell, but there's little to be done except ignore it as best you can. :(
PatchworkAndCo

Postby PatchworkAndCo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Fair enough, sorry. Feel free to delete or lock this topic. :)